2004/05 Season Review
A serialised account of our season by our man who has been at every match home and away - Ewan Lithgow
Part Six - December 2004
The month of December began with some good news as Jim Thomson extended his contract to the summer of 2007, which should see him finish his career with his adopted home club. Big JT's performances this season have been simply magnificent, which makes it all the more astonishing that had John Connolly not departed when he did then Thomson would have been away, most likely to Hamilton Accies, last summer.

JT signed up for life!

English sends one in
The first match was a quite comfortable 2-0 home win over Raith Rovers, by now under the new charge of Gordon Dalziel. Derek Lyle grabbed the first after a fortunate deflection off the referee diverted Eric Paton's pass into his path. Paton himself got the second with a fine drive from Willie Gibson's pulled back corner. Iain Scott's programme notes alluded to a move by John Connolly to sign Eric Paton on the eve of the previous weekend's fixture at St Mirren and were highly critical of his former boss.
The good run continued with a single goal victory at home to Ross County. Again the man on the mark was Derek Lyle, seizing on a defensive error to plant the ball behind Colin Stewart. Immediately after the game the draw was made for the Scottish Cup 3rd Round and, although certainly not a glamour tie, a trip to Montrose presented an obvious opportunity to reach the last sixteen.

As the month wore on speculation continued over the future of Eric Paton with confirmation of an offer on the table from St Johnstone, which exceeded the one Queens could offer, and hints of interest from Falkirk and an unnamed SPL club. On the pitch there was a major shock in the offing as Queens raced into an early two goal lead at Falkirk, where the home side had never lost. Derek Lyle and Brian McLaughlin were the men who scored the goals on breaks forward. However, Falkirk were in irresistible form coming forward with the big Aussie Daniel McBreen in particular running riot. He made the first for Pedro Moutinho and then scored a hat-trick himself in a 4-2 win.

Over the course of the next week or so Queens confirmed that Steven Bell, a Scotland u19 international, had agreed terms and would sign on January 1st whilst it was likely that both Chris Scott and Chris Armstrong would depart. The Saturday game at home to Clyde fell victim to a frozen pitch though, costing the club a lot of money.

The final fixture of the month saw a midweek trip to Airdrie and finally the home side got it right against us this season. Colin Scott had picked up a knock over the Christmas break and Richie Barnard was finally called for a debut. However, the keeper wouldn't have been greatly happy at his role in the opening goal headed home by Owen Coyle from Gow's cross. Late in the second half, with Queens trying to mount a comeback, Gow himself scored a fine solo effort to clinch the points.

Ewan Lithgow
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10

[Back to Queens front page]