2004/05 Season Review
A serialised account of our season by our man who has been at every match home and away - Ewan Lithgow
Part Three - September 2004
With the away record so much better than the home one it was perhaps fortunate that the month began with another trip to Airdrie United. Different competition, same result. This time it was a 1-0 victory with Brian McLaughlin, pressed into service as a striker for the day, scoring the goal. The game was marred by serious head injuries to two Airdrie defenders who clashed in mid-air. Before the match Queens clinched the signing of left sided centre half David Craig from Ayr United for a small fee to effectively replace Hilland. Billy McDonald was also finally signed to a contract this week though the reasons for doing so remain unclear to this day as he was ruled out for the season with his knee injury.
The following week we finally earned a home point against Hamilton Academical. Todd Lumsden gave the promoted side a first half lead but David McNiven curled home a direct free kick in the second half to gain the draw. During the week that followed Queens signed up Lee George to a month contract to give striking cover.

Next up was a trip to Firhill to face the pre-season favourites Partick Thistle. Although Thistle would end up relegated it's easy to forget they'd had a good start to the season and we went into this match as heavy underdogs and when Juan Ramon's classy finish gave them a first half lead it didn't look good for Queens. However, the second half saw a determined performance and a superb comeback. David McNiven equalised midway through the half and then, in the 4th minute of injury time, substitute Stephen Payne rifled home from 25 yards with virtually his first touch to keep up the 100% away record.

Payne takes on McPhee with Wood, McColligan and English in attendance
That perfect away record was maintained the following week with a 2-1 win at Kirkcaldy against Claude Anelka's hapless Raith Rovers. We made heavy weather of it though and fell behind early to Herve Ebanda's goal after Wood and Reid got themselves in a mess defending a corner. Tommy English equalised with a direct free kick on the stroke of half time though and Bowey won it with a perfect chip after McLaughlin's sublime backheel midway through the second period.

So a successful month ended with Queens nicely tucked in 4th spot just about in touch with the leaders.

Ewan Lithgow
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Part 9 Part 10

[Back to Queens front page]