Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
CLYDE 0 : 1 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 31st March 2007
Rating: 8.34
Rating: 7.02
Rating: 7.48
Rating: 7.18
Rating: 7.27
Rating: 6.79
Rating: 6.50
Rating: 7.45
Rating: 6.72
1 S2
Rating: 7.14
Rating: 7.84
S1 - 84
S2 - 86
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Ian McCall made two changes to the side that drew with the same opponents six days ago, one enforced, one by choice. Fortunately Eric Paton was declared fit so debate about who would play right back in his absence proved academic. With Jamie Adams ruled out though Steve Tosh made his return to the starting eleven for the first time since his bad knee injury at Airdrie. In a surprising move though Andrew Barrowman also came into the side in place of John O'Neill who had to be satisfied with a place on the bench. Clyde welcomed Robert Harris back from suspension but were still without Mikey McGowan who finished off his own two match suspension today.

Queens were first to trouble a goalkeeper when, after four minutes, Stevie Tosh had a pop at goal from 25 yards following Dobbie's lay-off. Hutton was not greatly troubled by the effort though. A few minutes later MacLennan lashed Clyde's first effort over the bar from similar distance. In 20 minutes McKeown was controversially adjudged to have tripped Dobbie at the edge of the box but despite being clearly last man dodged a card. From the free kick Stevie Murray fired narrowly wide. Seconds later O'Connor did get the ball in the net from Dobbie's charged down shot but he had clearly been offside. Clyde went much closer on 22 minutes though when Masterton's 25 yard free kick nicked off the wall and struck the crossbar before being scrambled away.

Dobbie applies some pressure (Photo from Haydn Gleed)
Stephen Dobbie was next to try his luck from the edge of the box after a clever interchange of passes with Murray, the striker going narrowly over with his powerful drive. On 38 minute Arbuckle passed up a gilt edged opportunity when he met Bryson's right wing cross six yards from goal. He was distracted enough by Scally's touch to flick wide though. Queens were soon back on the attack though and Thomson headed powerfully at goal from a corner only to find Hutton well positioned. The first half drew to a close with little further goalmouth action as the two sides continued to cancel one another out.

The second half began with a bang as Barrowman's error allowed MacLennon to stride forward and unleash a fine drive which forced an excellent save from MacDonald. Moments later Higgins rose at the back post to head Masterton's free kick over the bar from inside the six yard box. Queens were still in the game though and Dobbie almost flicked O'Connor in on goal only for Higgins last ditch intervention to deny it. The defender had more involvement at the other end minutes later when he spun to shoot narrowly wide from a corner kick. Back up the other end though and Barrowman's dinked shot was tipped over by Hutton.

Sean waits for the ball with a Clyde defender in close proximity (Photo from Haydn Gleed)
The breakthrough arrived on 69 minutes when Harris tripped the quick-footed Dobbie in the Clyde box. The striker picked himself up and duly buried the spot-kick in the bottom left corner. Clyde were quick to look for an equaliser with Masterton hitting on the half-volley from 30 yards and forcing an acrobatic tip over from MacDonald.

Dobbie slams home the penalty kick - from Rob Campbell on the terracing
On 77 minutes Joe Miller made a double change, introducing Williams and Ferguson for Arbuckle and MacLennon and three minutes later Bryson forced a good save from MacDonald from distance. On 83 minutes John O'Neill was introduced for Stevie Murray. Seconds later Andy Ferguson's looping header struck the bar and was hooked out by Scally and from the resulting corner Imrie's header also hit the crossbar as the Queens goal bore a charmed life. Graham Weir was then brought on for Dobbie but despite the odd piece of desperate defending the win was earned. Surely a crucial three points at the end of the day.

Ewan Lithgow

[Back to Queens front page]