For previous reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
Rating: 6.11
Rating: 5.71
Rating: 6.07
Rating: 5.32
Rating: 6.04
Rating: 6.82
Rating: 5.93
Rating: 5.64
Rating: 4.79
Rating: 5.36
Rating: 6.79
46 mins
Rating: 5.89
85 mins
Rating: -
Rating: -
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the MoM League Table.

Member No:
Queens took to the field to day with a number of changes to the side, out went David Mathieson to be replaced by new signing Jamie Campbell, out went Des McKeown, due to work commitments, his left side berth taken up by Paddy Atkinson who in turn had his right back position taken by Steven Walklate, Warren Hawke was missing with Alan Hogg getting his first start and on the bench was Graham Armstrong making his first full team squad.

Both sides started brightly with first Queens making an excellent chance when Peter Weatherson cut back a ball that John O'Neill stepped over for Graham Connell to shoot just past. At the other end a free header in the box was saved at full stretch by Jamie Campbell as he turned the ball round the post. The action didn't let up for the first quarter of an hour and Peter Weatherson was next up as he deftly beat his marker before turning and hitting the side netting. A minute later though and Queens were one down, the ball fell to John O'Neill on the edge of the box and as he failed to clear effectively the ball bobbled up for a Anthony to strike, his first effort was saved by Campbell but as the ball looped over the stranded keeper the former Celt ran on to finish coolly.

Queens were playing some good football and both John O'Neill and Peter Weatherson played some neat combinations building into the goalmouth, the final ball through to O'Neill fell just behind him and his strike wasn't clean enough to trouble McCulloch in the Rangers goal. One minute later though and Queens had leveled it, Peter Weatherson displaying a level of coolness in his finish that has not been seen since the days of Andy Thomson. Almost as soon as we had equalised Berwick were up the other end and a long range shot was just tipped over the bar by 6ft 5inch Campbell.

[Hoggy misses out]
First half goal-mouth action

The game then became a midfield struggle for most of the remainder of the half, although Andy Aitken had to make a saving clearance from a goalbound shot late in the half and Alan Hogg elected to curl a shot on goal when better options existed either side of him. The half ended 1-1.

Queens made a half time substitution, Alan Hogg being replaced in a straight swap and a first team debut for young striker Graham Armstrong. And a dream debut it was for the Haltwhistle youngster as within two minutes he had scored. The youngster chased onto a loose ball and as it came of the visiting keeper he ran on and rolled the ball into the empty net.

Jon Sunderland was proving troublesome for the Berwick defence today and it was he who was sent crashing in the penalty area in the fiftieth minute that earned Queens a penalty kick. John O'Neill is the man who is now tasked with taking the penalty kicks and he made no mistake this time as he sent the keeper the wrong way with a well taken strike. Almost immediately Queens had another chance to score as Stuart King made it to the bye-line and squared across the box for Graham Armstrong to screw the ball just over the cross-bar.

Berwick though were not out of the game at all, the wind was strongly in their favour in the second half and the tactic of playing a long-ball up the middle of the park almost paid off a couple of times. Indeed it was a long ball out of defence that set up their second goal as the ball was pounced upon by Wood who despatched it across the face of Campbell and into the far corner of the net to set up a nervous end for the Doonhamers faithful.

[New signing Steven Walklate]
New signing Steven Walklate forms the wall with Jon Sunderland

There were a number of chances made for the Berwick forwards and Queens defence in depth approach always looked suspect as midfielders, found themselves being caught in possession in dangerous areas.

The equalising Berwick goal came from an attack down the left wing with their winger skipping over first Walklate and then O'Neill before crossing in to the far post area where Wood was unmarked and had the easiest of tasks to nod into the back of the net to make it 3-3.

That was the end of the scoring and a draw was probably a fair result.

[Back to Queens front page]