Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
CLYDE 2 : 0 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 30th October 2004
Rating: 6.00
Rating: 6.53
Rating: 6.53
Rating: 5.41
Rating: 3.71
Rating: 5.76
Rating: 5.97
Rating: 4.12
Rating: 5.82
Rating: 5.12
Rating: 4.73
S1 - 49
Rating: 5.18
S2 - 51
Rating: 4.68
S3 - 65
Rating: 3.39
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Iain Scott promised changes after last week's poor fare at Dingwall and made three. Flu victim Eric Paton and injured Brian McLaughlin both missed out whilst Brian McColligan dropped to the bench. In their place were Paul Burns, back from a rib injury, Willie Gibson and newly re-acquired Derek Lyle. In addition, Chris Armstrong returned to the bench at the expense of Ross Beattie. Clyde also made four changes though with Eddie Malone suspended and a few injuries.

Our new twin strike force
The match started slowly with little goalmouth action in the opening minutes. The first notes I took in fact came on nine minutes when Clyde captured the lead. A ball from the left side should have been easily dealt with but Tommy English on the penalty spot got the ball caught under his feet trying to control it and was dispossessed by Craig Bryson. Bryson stabbed the ball goalward but Jim Thomson managed to make a block on it. However the ball fell clear only to Ian Harty who fairly rattled the ball past Scott and into the net.

A minute later Queens might have equalised when McNiven and Lyle worked a 1-2 in the penalty box leaving the former with a clear sight of goal from 15 yards but his attempted curler was straight into the arms of Halliwell. Ten minutes after that Derek Lyle's run down the right channel saw a pull back hammered at goal from 20 yards by Paul Burns. Unfortunately it went directly at Halliwell. In the 26th minute McNiven collected a Gibson ball on the edge of the box and turned Mensing before striking an early shot to the bottom left corner, this time pulling a better save out of the home keeper.

On 36 minutes Paul Burns and Mark Gilhaney were booked for squaring up to one another after an incident on the far touchline and two minutes later things got much worse for Queens. Craig Bryson ran into the box on the end of a Harty pass but the ball was cleared by a combination of Colin Scott and a sliding challenge from Gary Wood. John Underhill had little hesitation in awarding a penalty for the Wood challenge though and Wood was also booked for complaining to the assistant referee about the decision. Ian Harty duly tucked the penalty into the bottom right corner, sending Scott the wrong way. That was enough to send the home side into the interval with a two goal lead.

Harty buries the penalty
The half was only seconds old when Harty might have made it three, failing to control Wilford's header on with the goal gaping. Five minutes in and Brian Reid picked up a knee knock in a challenge from Wilford and, though he returned after a bit of treatment it was clear he couldn't continue. Emilio Jaconelli duly came on with Lyle dropping into right midfield, Burns moving to right back and Gary Wood slipping in beside Jim Thomson at centre half. Just before that Brian McColligan replaced Tommy English in an unfamiliar left back role. On 54 minutes David Bagan's driven shot across the face of goal was almost turned in by Jaconelli but went over the top and, a minute later, Aron Wilford picked up a booking for persistent fouling. A minute later though the big striker nearly trebled the lead when he seized on a Thomson mistake to round Colin Scott but JT got back to clear off the line.

Scott collects
Just after the hour mark Jaconelli slipped McNiven down the left channel and, though the striker's effort lacked power, it almost slipped from Halliwell's grasp. Five minutes later McNiven was replaced by Armstrong as Iain Scott made his final change. On 75 minutes Billy Reid made his first changes of the day with Aaron Conway and Kevin Bradley replacing Alex Walker and Aron Wilford. In the 80th minute Craig Bryson looked destined to add to the scoreline when played in by Gilhaney but Willie Gibson's last gasp challenge distracted him sufficiently to see him fire past the left post. Up the other end a minute later though an excellent Mensing covering header denied Chris Armstrong an open goal from Lyle's superb cross. Apart from Billy Reid sending John Paul McKeever on for Craig Bryson in the final minute though that was the end of the action.

Another away defeat then and a third successive game without scoring. Clyde are a good side and at two up were never going to let us back into things and we didn't create enough to get back in anyway. Not presenting them with the lead would certainly have helped our cause though. The top of the table now looks very distant and for the moment the target has to be to put a few results together and make sure we don't drift further down the table. Next up it's Airdrie at Palmerston.

Ewan Lithgow

[Back to Queens front page]