Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 2 : 0 St JOHNSTONE 30th April 2005
Rating: 6.79
2 S1
Rating: 8.00
Rating: 6.87
Rating: 6.89
Rating: 6.53
Rating: 8.02
Rating: 6.37
Rating: 6.70
Rating: 7.21
Rating: 6.48
Rating: 6.55
S1 - 67
Rating: 5.44
S2 - 77
Rating: 5.22
S3 - 83
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Palmerston fell silent today at 3.00pm precisely as the club and fans remembered two men who had both passed away since the last home game. Jimmy Greenock - a legendary left half from the 1950's from what was one of the finest Queens sides ever to grace Palmerston and Alex Goodwin - a Queens fan who drove through the foundation of the Supporters Trust and who lived and breathed Queen of the South. It was the most silent of minutes silence that could have been wished for. Both men will be fondly remembered.

In terms of team selection there was no influx of 'fringe' players as Iain Scott set about improving the league position by playing a strong side. Eric Paton was missing with his cartilage problem and Gary Wood proved an able deputy as he moved from centre forward last week to right back this week. Chris Carr had to be content with a seat on the bench as Brian Reid returned to the side and Derek Lyle was restored to the front line alongside David McNiven. The only other alteration being Brian McColligan starting with Willie Gibson on the bench.

The match itself began in a purposeful manner and it was the Perth Saints who could have taken the lead in just ten minutes as Tommy English failed to clear at the back of the 6 yard box, th ball fell to former Queens midfielder David Bagan and his effort looked like being a goal until Richie Barnard pulled off a tremendous block to push the ball away.

Four minutes later and it looked a certain goal for Queens as Steve Bowey broke through the static Saints defence and raced in on Cuthbert, Bowser did all the hard work, remained composed and shot towards goal, however the post got in the way and the ball rebounded to safety.

St Johnstone were giving as good as they were getting and a long ball from defence split Thomson and Reid and bounced off the back of on loan Hibee Stephen Dobbie, if fell kindly for former Hearts youngster Robert Sloan who curled a shot past the empty goal much to the relief of the home defence.

Stephen Payne was looking lively down the right side for Queens and won a free kick on one foray forward, he took the free kick himself and delivered a superb ball to the back of the box where Gary Wood rose above the defence and looped a header over Cuthbert and into the far corner of the net to make it 1-0 for Queens. A minute later and an almost identical goal. Again Payne won a free kick on the right hand side, he again took the free kick but this time to the front of the box where Gary Wood finished in style with his right foot. Thoughts of a 'Tommy Bryce' special must have crossed the fans minds as Queens were well on top and pressing.

McNiven and Bowey celebrate Wood's goal as the scorer turns away
Before the half time whistle, Derek Lyle had a a good chance to increase the lead but a combination of good defending and a difficult angle saw the ball squeeze just past the post. At the other end Jim Thomson made a spectacular saving tackle as Dobbin hesitated when through on goal. And on the stroke of half time Queens were denied what looked a good penalty claim as Stephen Payne was unceremoniously bundled off the ball as he ran in on goal.

Not content with just scoring two goals, Gary Wood also put in some great defensive challenges
The second half saw Queens sit back and let St Johnstone come at them, however some poor finishing and good defending ensured that the Queens goal was rarely if ever threatened. The main sinners for Saints were Dobbie who could have pulled a goal back within the first five minutes of the half but he was slow to react to the cross.

Queens themselves had a couple of chances that should have been goals as Bowser made a great run down the left wing, hit the byeline and squared the ball back in the direction of David McNiven, a defender was just a bit quicker though and the ball was cleared. Then with fifteen minutes to go Lyle and Bowey beat the off side trap and broke free, Bowser looked for a ball squared to him so that he could slot it into the net but Derek Lyle went for glory but only succeeded in being tackled as he produced a weak shot resulting in him going over on his ankle and having to leave the field with his injury.

The home fans stayed behind to cheer the side, who under the leadership of Iain Scott and Warren Pearson have produced a fine season and could finish as high up the league as fourth. It was a good way to end the home season with a comfortable victory.

[Back to Queens front page]