Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 2 : 2 STIRLING ALBION 29th September 2007
Rating: 6.16
Rating: 6.56
Rating: 6.60
Rating: 4.96
Rating: 5.84
Rating: 5.70
Rating: 5.18
Rating: 5.47
Rating: 5.44
Rating: 5.50
Rating: 8.14
S1 - 62
Rating: 4.82
S2 - 64 1
Rating: 6.68
S3 - 81
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Gordon Chisholm sent out the side that finished last weeks match at Partick. That meant starting roles for Neil McGowan in place of the injured Jim Lauchlan, David Bingham for Stephen Dobbie and Brian Gilmour for Paul Burns, who didn't even make it onto the bench. Bob Harris and Scott Robertson joined O'Neill, Dobbie and Grindlay on the bench. Whilst Tosh and Scally started wide left and right respectively they soon swapped and played for most of the game on the opposite sides.

The game started some four or five minutes late to allow the travelling support to arrive as roadworks had held up the team bus and it had only arrived from Stirling at 2.15pm.

The first half began as it would continue with Queens playing at a pedestrian pace which no doubt suited the visitors. Goalmouth action was at a premium with the best move of the half being a Neil MacFarlane cushioned header to Steve Tosh who broke forward and fed David Bingham who in turn set the ball up for Sean O'Connor who took his chance with a first time effort that curled just over the bar to the relief of Hogarth in the Albion goal. A burst of pace by Steve Tosh took him into the box where he was unceremoniously brought crashing to the ground by an Albion defender but was denied the penalty that had looked so clear cut.

Albion took the lead in the fifteenth minute as David McKenna found wide man William Easton on the left, the winger drew MacDonald out of his goals before striking his effort, the ball going under MacDonald and spinning up as the keeper made contact with it. It still ended up in the back of the net and signalled the visitors to sit back and frustrate their hosts even more.

Easton slides the ball under MacDonald and into the net - Photo from Sandy Robertson
The next real effort of note came with just five minutes of the half left and it was another badly defended corner that allowed Chris Aitken a free header that flew past the target. And with the last kick of the half Sean O'Connor curled a tame effort towards Hogarth that the experienced 'keeper dealt with easily.

The second half started much more positively for Queens and within just three minutes the game was levelled. Sean O'Connor beat the offside trap and raced through on goal, it looked as though he had gone too wide but still managed to squeeze his effort in past Hogarth and a retreating defender to turn what was the most difficult chance he has had in the past two games into a superb goal.

Sean slams the ball past Hogarth and Reid to draw the sides level - Photo from Sandy Robertson

Sean finds the net - from David Gow on the teracing
Ten minutes of the half gone and Sean had a clean sight of goal from a corner but his effort dropped just past the wrong side of the post. Shortly afterwards Steve Tosh picked up and injury and was replaced by John O'Neill and two minutes after that Brian Gilmour made way for Stephen Dobbie. And it took the clinical finisher a mere ten minutes to demonstrate his speciality. Eric Paton was the provider as he sent a trademark crossfield ball to Dobbie who was sitting wide left, Dobbs played a neat one-two with David Bingham before rounding a defender, sizing up the smallest corner of goals at the far post and despatching a beautiful ball round Hogarth and into that bottom corner to give the home side the lead.

Dobbs produces a top quality finish - Photo from Sandy Robertson

Dobbs, collects, nutmegs Reid and places the ball into the back of the net - from David Gow on the teracing
It was Queens' turn to shut up shop now as Stirling made changes to their formation to press for an equaliser. John Paul McBride gave a taste of what was to come with a long range effort with ten minutes left that Jamie MacDonald had to fumble around the post at full stretch. However with Stirling pressing Queens were given more chances on the breakaway. John O'Neill first was played through and then Sean O'Connor but in both cases Hogarth was promptly off his line and came off best by clearing just in time. Sean being left with a nasty head knock for his troubles.

With just five minutes left Derek Lilley crashed an effort goalward but again Jamie MacDonald came to the rescue. However as happens all too often at Palmerston the visitors were allowed to camp in the home penalty box for far too long and eventually the equaliser came as John Paul McBride thumped an effort into the back of the net to give the visitors a point that they could not really be grudged.

McBride buries it in the back of the net to grab a point

[Back to Queens front page]