Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 2 : 1 ALLOA 29th September 2001
Rating: 6.92
Rating: 6.78
Rating: 6.89
Rating: 6.50
Rating: 7.03
Rating: 6.42
Rating: 6.87
Rating: 6.74
Rating: 8.50
Rating: 7.16
Rating: 7.68
S1 51m
Rating: 5.44
S2 78m
Rating: 5.43
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the Lmom League Table.

Member No:
This was a game in which two very good footballing sides served up an afternoon of high quality entertainment. The football on show was some of the slickest seen at Palmerston for many a day. Queens more than deserved their win and in fact could have secured an even greater margin of victory had the strikers had their shooting boots on today, the result however takes the Doonhamers into second spot in the league just one point behind the league leaders, Alloa.

The teamsheet saw no changes to the starting eleven from Tuesday evening but the substitutes bench had Jim Thomson on it after his 8.00am arrival in the UK following an eight-hour flight.

The game started in a lively manner and within the first three minutes Queens had made their first chance as a Craig Feroz lay back was struck with force by John O'Neill only for it to strike a defender, the ball fell to Graham Connell and his effort was easily collected by the on-loan 'keeper Derek Souter in the Wasps goal.

Queens were stroking the ball about with some confidence with McAlpine, Weatherson and O'Neill in particular combining well. Gordon Connelly was next to show when put through in the eleventh minute, the winger managed to break clear of his shirt tugging defender but was caught just before he could get a clean strike on goal, his eventual effort being easily held by the 'keeper.

Peter Weatherson played an excellent game today but he will probably want to forget the times that he had sight of goal, his agony commenced as soon as the thirteenth minute when he was put clean through and contrived to shoot past the post with only the 'keeper to beat.

Queens were then shocked when a mistake by Aitken and Crawford allowed an Alloa forward a strike at goal, Scott was beaten but the woodwork saved the defenders blushes.

Derek Allan exhibited a desire to score a goal today as he twice came close with headed efforts from Joe McAlpine right sided corners, from the first the 'keeper made a terrific one handed acrobatic save and from the second the ball just missed the target.

Against the run of play Alloa took the lead, former Falkirk frontman Gareth Hutchinson won the ball on the right and advanced towards goal, John Crawford faced the forward up but Hutchinson had spotted Scott off his line and curled an excellent shot into the top right hand corner. Queens had been stung.

A rapid response was called for and within thirty seconds of the goal Queens were level, Joe McAlpine got his head onto a Gordon Connolly cross to bullet the ball into the back of the net.

Alloa remained dangerous on the counter attack but their efforts were largely confined to shots from long range, although with Jimmy Fisher firing them in they were still pretty dangerous, none more so than his thirty-eight minute effort from thirty-five yards that forced Scott to tip it over the bar for a corner.

This was Alloa's best spell of pressure in the match so far and next up was veteran defender Keith Knox who found himself charging into the box only to be disposesed by Colin Scott as the 'keeper came out to narrow the angle.

Queens then turned the tables and put in a series of crosses just before half time to leave the park on the offensive.


The second half started with a bang as straight from the kick-off Queens scored. Peter Weatherson picked the ball up wide left on the edge of the box, he turned his marker and fired in a powerful cross that John O'Neill cushioned into the path of Craig Feroz, the on-loan Livvie forward made no mistake with his finish as he made it 2-1 to Queens.

Peter Weatherson then turned from supplier to sinner as he found himself through on goal with only the 'keeper to beat, his effort though was well saved.

Around this time John O'Neill picked up what appeared to be a slight twist and within minutes was replaced by Stuart Davidson.

John O'Neill recieves attention as Stuart Davidson gets ready.

The miss of the match came along in the fifty sixth minute as Nellie did the difficult part by beating the Alloa defence, a goal was certain as he faced only the 'keeper but somehow the normally deadly striker contrived to tap the ball back to Soutar in the Alloa goal who gratefully picked the ball up.

It didn't get any better for Peter as he then broke through on the right and struck a fine looking shot, but just past the post again. Once he scores one you get the feeling that the floodgates will open and many will follow.

Another second half chance.

Craig Feroz was, as always, proving to be a thorn in the side of the opponents, his speed and guile were in evidence again today and the Alloa defence had no real answer. In the seventy-first minute their frustration boiled over as Feroz again broke free, this time though last man defender Thomson hauled Craig to the ground and promptly received his marching orders.

Last man Thomson sees red.

As often happens though ten men provide a stiffer test than the full complement of players, this was certainly the case this afternoon as Alloa posed many more problems in the last fifteen minutes. So much so that John Connolly decided to shore up the defence by introducing Jim Thomson for Graham Connell and moving Andy Aitken into a midfield role.

Queens remained potent and Alan Gray almost scored as he cut the ball back across the face of the goal, the ball squirming just past the post.

There were a few desperate moments in the last five minutes as firstly a Jim Thomson leg got in the way of a goal bound shot and then an Alan Gray tackle in the box was perfectly timed to clear the danger. Alloa then had two penalty claims turned down although neither looked justifiable.

So for the second game running the Doonhamers left the pitch to a standing ovation from the Dumfries supporters, who had turned out in greater numbers following Tuesday evenings performance and who hopefully after this match will be keen to come back regularly.

Thanks to Iain Bell for some of the action shots

[Back to Queens front page]