For previous reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
P Atkinson
45 mins
63 mins
D Paterson
54 mins
45 mins
R Atkinson
66 mins
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the MoM League Table.

Member No:
Queen's wrapped up their pre-season programme in fine style as they ran out comfortable 4-0 winners against Northern League side Penrith in a sometimes sunny sometimes wet Cumbria this afternoon.

The London Road ground of the home side saw a large travelling support of Doonhamers, indeed there must have been a two to one ratio of travelling to home fans in attendance, whilst there were also a few North East accents lending their support to the Queen's side.

The game started at a high tempo with the Doonhamers taking the lead within two minutes of the whistle, Denis Boyle being the scorer of a well worked move through the centre of midfield which saw the young Irishman stroke the ball past the Cumbrians 'keeper to make it 1-0.
Sunshine and Rain in Penrith.
Queen's maintained the pace for the next thirty minutes with fast movement off the ball and accurate one touch passing combining to prevent the homesters from making any headway into the visitors half. Slick play between Weir, Boyle and then Hodge saw the delivered ball just flicked past the upright by Warren Hawke. Next up was John Sunderland who mainly operated on the right wing but frequently dropped infield to pick up and start the next forward move.

Queen's dominance of the midfield are was exceptional in the first half, mainly due to the efforts of Tony Nelson who won every ball but more than that then turned it into another attacking opportunity, his combination with Boyle, Sunderland and Weir may well be the key to success this season.

Mark Weir is another player who has been transformed this close season, his runs were calculated and when let loose he invariably beat his men and managed to deliver a quality ball, maybe some intensive coaching from a former international winger going on there!

It was a cross from Weir that lead to the second goal in 16 minutes, Denis Boyle feeding Mark who then hit the bye line and put the ball across goal, a half clearance was then collected by Peter Weatherson who managed an agile turn and shot into the bottom left hand corner. Weatherson today showing the kind of form that does indeed mark him out as a special player for this coming season.

Queen's then proceeded to bombard the Penrith goal, Peter Weatherson was unlucky on a number of occasions, Sandy Hodge on a surge fed Peter who put just too fine a touch on the ball as it went across goal, John Sunderland followed up and saw his drive deflected away.

Weatherson turned provider next as he crossed to Warren Hawke who headed down and back to the waiting Tony Nelson whose drive was blocked away as it headed for the top corner.
Andy Martin goes up for the corner.
The game then quietened down for ten minutes or so only to be rudely awakened by a Denis Boyle corner being met by Andy Martin as he ran in on goal, his effort was partially cleared but the ball was played back in by Sunderland and again Andy Martin was on hand to head it goalward but again it was blocked by the Penrith defence.

Just on the half time whistle Weir, Hodge and creatively Weatherson were involved in a neat move down the left, the ball eventually being put in by Mark Weir and Warren Hawke managed to get his foot to the ball and slide it past the 'keeper and the near post despite the attendance of a Penrith defender. Half time 3-0.

Half time substitutions saw the influential pair of Tony Nelson and Andy Aitken rested with youngster Dean Muir taking Nelson's place and Phil Nixon taking Aitken's place. Within ten minutes of the restart another change was made, this time enforced, Sandy Hodge had to leave the field with an ankle injury following a crunching tackle, his replacement being Danny Patterson.

Queen's dominance was not quite so complete in the first part of the half, chances were still being made though and from a Peter Weatherson cut back Denis Boyle had a fine drive well saved. David Mathieson was also called into action when a Penrith free kick needed to be pushed away low at his right hand post. The a moment of drama for Queen's as the referee awarded an indirect free kick just twelve yards out, the defensive wall did it's job however and the deflected ball was well cleared.

Peter Weatherson was then replaced by Brian Caldwell and the striker went of to a round of applause from the appreciative travelling support. Shortly afterwards Sunderland was replaced by Ross Atkinson who went central midfield releasing Dean Muir to play wide right.
Mark Weir starts to cut inside.
It was Atkinson that almost scored a spectacular goal with just five minutes left as he sent an overhead kick crashing against the crossbar. The final goal however was long overdue when it came, Mark Weir cutting inside this time and feeding Dean Muir, the ex-Hamilton Accies youngster driving an excellent shot into the roof of the net from fully 25 yards to complete the scoring and send the majority of the crowd back to Dumfries quietly confident about the start of the season.

[Back to Queens front page]