For previous reports go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about.
Rating: 6.57
Rating: 7.05
Rating: 7.90
Rating: 6.95
Rating: 7.38
Rating: 5.10
Rating: 5.43
Rating: 5.14
Rating: 5.76
Rating: 6.24
Rating: 6.00
71 mins
Rating: 4.43
Rating: -
Rating: -
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the MoM League Table.

Member No:
A bumper crowd of over 2000 Queens fans, the largest league attendance this season turned up at Palmerston today. Despite not knowing what was being played for Queens set out their stall early and demonstrated to the 99% Doonhamers supporting crowd that attack was to be the operative word for the afternoon. By the end of the match Queens had had eighteen shots at goal to the Accies eight but the score was to end level at one all.

A victory was all that was on the minds of the Queens team and with only one change from last Saturday's squad, Adams for Dickson, the players minds were clearly on getting the ball forward as much as possible. This tactic though, didn't result in too many clear cut chances in the first half. You would expect with players of the calibre of Hawke and Eadie at the sharp end that goals would be inevitable, unfortunately however the service to the front pair was just not there. Neither Adams nor Weir being able to penetrate the flank, Adams being too easily dispossessed and Weir looking uncomfortable when he did get through.

Hamilton were being restricted to break aways and after twenty minutes almost scored as Quitongo, when through on goal, attempted to chip Mathieson only to see his effort bounce off the top of the bar and away to safety. Queen's best chance of the half came around half an hour into the match when Mark Weir managed to break free down the left and put in a cross that was just a fraction too high for Warren Hawke to be able to direct downwards, the ball just clearing the crossbar with the goal gaping.

The deadlock was broken shortly after this as the Accies gangly left back Gary Lynn sent in a perfectly flighted ball which ended up in the back of the net from the toe of Quitongo who had hit the ball on the volley as it came across him.

Despite this setback the Doonhamers continued to press, although the remainder of the first half was to see no more goalmouth action.

The change around saw no alteration to the line up with Queens now facing the home support massed in the Glasgow Street end. Their encouragement made an almost instant difference with a Queens corner being cleared as far as corner taker mark Weir, this time Mark returned it with some precision onto the head of George Rowe who did what he likes to do best, finish clinically. The response from the fans spurred Queens on further and Hamilton were being restricted to very rare breakaways.

Ken Eadie was getting a few chances now and with one he found himself clean through on the keeper, now if you wanted anyone to be in that position then Ken's your man, however this time he managed to send it high into the crowd, a case of trying too hard today.
[An Eadie shot easily gathered]
An Eadie effort is about to be collected comfortably.
The final whistle was fast approaching but the last five minutes saw more Queens chances than much of the rest of the game, mostly all from free kicks from perfect Deggsie territory. There were at least three with Ally McMillan floating one into the box, then blasting another into the crowd and then George Rowe determined that a more direct approach was the answer but his daisy cutting blast passed the post by a good three feet. Sandy Hodge almost scored the goal of the season when he broke down the left and instead of crossing managed to put in a great angular drive that almost caught out McFarlane in the Accies goal.
[Geordie blasts it wide]
Rowe's free kick flies wide.
A point was not enough to escape relegation on merit, but that was all we were getting as the final whistle blew and both sets of fans left not really sure whether to celebrate or commiserate.

George Rowe picked up the sponsors Man of the Match award and no one could argue with that, today the outgoing co-boss was immense and covered every blade of grass on the pitch. Our defence looks as good as any in recent years and the front two as dangerous as any, we just need the bit in the middle for next year, whatever league we are in.

[Back to Queens front page]