Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 0 : 0 MORTON 29th March 2008
Rating: 7.24
Rating: 6.24
Rating: 6.60
Rating: 6.77
Rating: 6.21
Rating: 6.96
Rating: 6.15
Rating: 5.96
Rating: 5.94
Rating: 6.54
Rating: 6.04
S1 - 76
Rating: 4.74
S2 - 85
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
On the most miserable of days in Dumfries with torrential rain, blustery wind and winter like temperatures an end to end pulsating match that echoed the classic 6-5 game of a few years back was anticipated. However the game that was served up bore more resemblance to the weather than to a classic game of football. The proceedings were undoubtedly hindered by the weather as both sides struggled to put more than a couple of passes together and neither goalkeeper had much to do bar a couple of saves each in the full ninety minutes.

With Ryan McCann taking over in the heart of midfield Craig Reid came in at right back. The bench had Robert Campbell recalled. Queens started against the wind and after a slow opening few minutes a mix up in the Morton defence almost allowed Jamie McQuilken an opportunity as Robinson in the Morton goal had to spin a full 180 degrees to push the ball away as he was beaten with a pass back. It was Queens in the ascendancy for the first twenty minutes as a series of free kicks were won on the edge of the box but none managed to come to anything.

McDonald is beaten but the post casme to the rescue

Morton then showed some skill, primarily down their right as Kevin Finlayson demonstrated that he still had some pace and trickery left in his ageing legs. It was the left side of the Queens side that were getting the bulk of the pressure against them. Bob Harris slipped up and let in Ryan McGuffie on 22 minutes, the Dumfries born player crossed to the far side of the goal where Peter Weatherson looped a header that Jamie MacDonald did exceptionally well to claw away from the line with.

Jamie pulls the ball back from under the bar

Three minutes later and it was Finlayson with an impressive run from his own half and into the Queens box, his effort though wasn't good and attracted ironic cheers from the home fans.

The half ended with a half chance as Paul Burns was played into the box from a Bob Harris free kick. Burnsey got into the six yard box and fired goalward but the close attention of a couple of Morton defenders and their keeper made sure that the ball ended up over the bar. Nothing came from the corner.

McQuilken see's his effort blocked by Robinson

It was hoped that the second half would see Queens charge towards their favoured Portland Road end with a vengeance. However the second was at least as poor as the first.

Once again Paul Burns was the man getting into the dangerous areas and within ten minutes of the start he got himself into the box and whipped in a cross come shot that almost made it past Robinson to the prowling McCann, however the keeper managed to hold on. Both Bob Harris and Neil Macfarlane found themselves in the referee's book before Ryan McCann had a direct shot on goal that Robinson again comfortably held.

With twenty minutes of the game to go Sean O'Connor went up for a long ball with Morton defender Ryan Harding, there looked to be very little in the challenge but when they come down Sean fell to the ground and lay motionless. The referee immediately stopped play and waved on Kerrso. Kerrso was soon followed by Doctor Beaumont who, after a short examination obtained a neck brace and instructed the stretcher to be brought onto the field. The neck brace was fitted and Sean carefully moved onto the stretcher. After four minutes Sean was on his way off the pitch and an ambulance was on its way. The big man was taken to hospital and we await news of the extent of any injury that he may have sustained. John Stewart replaced O'Connor.

A superb Lee Robinson save denied Queens minutes later as Stephen Dobbie set up Jamie McQuilken on the left of the box, the midfielder crashed an effort goalward that looked like it was going in but somehow Robinson managed to block the effort. Morton soon countered and it was Jamie MacDonald's chance to make a great save as he blocked the first effort from James McAlister and then Bob Harris cleared the second. In the last few minutes both Craig Reid and Jim Thomson received yellow cards taking the total to four for Queens in what was in no way a dirty game.

McDonald makes a super save at the death

In the end neither side deserved three points and both will be happy enough to have escaped the conditions with a point.

Photo's from Sandy Robertson

Match highlights - from David Gow on the teracing

[Back to Queens front page]