Partick Thistle 2-0 Queen of the South28/08/1999


61 mins
55 mins
46 mins

Queen's recent run of good form at Firhill came to an abrupt end this afternoon when the hosts, Partick Thistle, secured a victory by two goals to nil. Indeed this was Thistles first victory over Queens in their last five encounters.

The team today reflected the enforced changes necessary to replace both David Lilley and Alan Kerr. Paul Stewart came in at right back and ex-Motherwell player Sandy Hodge, who featured last week as a trialist on the left wing was drafted in to replace the injured Alan Kerr. Denis Boyle was also drafted into the team playing on the left in support of Bryan Caldwell and Stevie Mallan. The bench was reasonably familiar with "Super Subs" Findlay and Bailey sitting alongside Kevin Robison.

Queens continued their recent trend of conceding an early goal, only this time it was in the first half. Paul Harvey lost the ball and Partick's new signing Elliot pounced and sent a swerving shot past Hillcoat to make it 1-0 in only five minutes.

Partick looked the likelier of the two sides throughout the first half although the Doonhamers went close with Stevie Mallan shooting just wide and again narrowly missing the target when set up nicely by Bryan Caldwell. Paul Harvey also had an opportunity to atone for his earlier lapse but he too was unlucky to see his shot well saved by the Partick keeper.

Worse news was to come for Queens when co-manager George Rowe replaced himself just after half time after taking a knock in the first half. Youngster Kevin Robison replaced Rowe and gave us another totally new look to the back four. Partick were on top at this stage but Queens soon pulled themselves back into the game with some neat passing and good interplay.

Substitute Lee Bailey had a good effort well saved and then fellow sub Billy Findlay who had replaced Captain Steven Leslie, had a clever lob kept out only by the woodwork.

Another error led to the killer goal when the defence didn't manage to clear properly from a corner and former Queen's favourite Des McKeown prodded the ball home from close range. That strike basically killed the game off as a contest and the remaining fourteen minutes saw little in the way of goalmouth action at either end.

[Back to Queens front page]