Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 0 : 1 CLYDE 28th August 2004
Rating: 7.22
Rating: 7.05
Rating: 6.76
Rating: 5.67
Rating: 7.29
Rating: 4.80
Rating: 5.53
Rating: 6.17
Rating: 6.14
Rating: 5.89
Rating: 5.16
S1 - 36
Rating: 6.15
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
It can certainly be called a 'game of two halves' as a storming fight back by Queens proved to be not quite enough against a Clyde side that were matched in all departments today albeit in a different half of the game. Queens lined up with all of our fit/semi-fit first team squad available and two lads from the Under 19's making up the numbers on the bench. The side was basically the same as last week with the exception of the suspended Gary Wood being replaced by Chris Armstrong and the injured Eric Paton by Paul Burns.

The press had made big news of a Karim Kerkar being in the 'shop window' for Clyde at Palmerston today but the Algerian soon found out that our wee Paul Burns has more skill in his wee toe than he had in his whole body and opted to leave the field after fifteen minutes to disappoint the scouts who no doubt will now be looking for another 'fancy' name to hype.

Burnsey skins Kerkar
The game started as it was to go on, with controversy surrounding official's decisions, Ian Harty was first to benefit as he managed to 'beat ' the Queens offside trap whilst being some five yards past the last defender as the ball was played, however Colin Scott was in superb form and managed to get down well to block the effort away. From the resulting corner a mass scramble ensued at the post that saw Scott, Bagan, Burns, McLaughlin, Thomson and McNiven involved for Queens whilst Mensing, Harty and Wilford scrambled for Clyde. The ball seemed to come off the post first before being collected eventually by Colin Scott.

What a stramash
It was an entertaining all-action game with both sides playing open attractive football and Clyde just about shading it in terms of possession, however disaster was about to strike for Queens as a more than suspicious offside was not given and three Clyde players advanced on goal with only Jim Thomson for company. A shot to the near post was beaten away by Scott and Thomson and as the danger looked to be clear Ian Harty at the back post made the most of his chance to force the ball just across the line as Colin Scott attempted to push it away.

Harty snuck in at the far post and put the ball just about across the line
The response by the homesters was immediate as Halliwell had to be at his best to push away a David McNiven shot following good work by Brian McLaughlin. Then just a few minutes later McNiven had the chance of the half as he had a free-header just eight yards out but couldn't rise high enough to direct it downwards and it sailed just over the bar.

Clyde were still the more dominant side as their midfield were winning the battle with ours, a quick replacement of David Bagan with Stephen Payne certainly injected some life into the right side of the park, but not before Colin Scott had made a good stop from a Conway header. Just before the break David McNiven brought out the best in Halliwell again as he managed to punch out the effort. Before the half finished Paul Burns was booked - do not know why!

Halliwell punches away a McNiven effort with Armstrong in attendance
The second half saw no line-up alterations for Queens however they were back out very early and managed a couple of warm-up jogs across the pitch before the 'Bully Wee' players returned. The half started with Queens determined to pull back the one goal deficit, however a strange decision saw Jim Thomson land with a yellow card as he was awarded a free-kick for a foul by Sheridan then found himself also booked! Equally bizarre was the decision seconds later that David McNiven was offside despite having the entire Clyde defence goalside of him!

Jim Thomson almost pressed the self-destruct button a quarter of an hour into the half as he somehow contrived to square a ball across the park when he should have been clearing it. His square ball found Aaron Wilford who sent a spectacular shot goal-ward that Colin Scott just managed to get a finger tip to to send around the post. A similar Jim Thomson inspired moment of madness followed minutes later as he and stand in full back Paul Burns played 'after you' and allowed a Clyde forward to steal through but shoot wide.

The best chance of the match for Queens came in the eightieth minute as Paul Burns put in a perfect cross that landed at the feet of David McNiven just ten yards out, he controlled the ball beautifully and struck what would surely be the equalising goal - however Halliwell in the Clyde goal produced a spectacular reaction save to push the ball away. Stephen Payne was first to react but his header didn't trouble Halliwell as it ended up over the bar.

Halliwell makes a spectacular one-handed save to deny McNiven
Queens had a number of chances to equalise but none were taken and a fourth successive home defeat was recorded, more than the total of home defeats last season. The plus side today was that the performance warranted more than we got from the game, unlike last Saturday. Hopefully Scotty will be able to select from a few more players for this week's Bell's Cup tie versus St Johnstone as fit players seem very thin on the ground at the moment.

[Back to Queens front page]