For previous reports go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 0 - 2 ROSS COUNTY27th November 1999
Rating: 5.38
Rating: 6.50
Rating: 5.00
Rating: 5.50
Rating: 5.00
Rating: 5.25
Rating: 4.38
Rating: 5.13
Rating: 3.50
Rating: 6.88
Rating: 5.25
60 mins
Rating: 3.50
Rating: 0
Rating: 0
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the MoM League Table.

Member No:
This was a match in which Queens should really have capitalised upon their first half domination. Instead, after dominating play for long periods they went in at half time with no advantage and no goals to show for the good work carried out on the pitch. The domination was not to be repeated in the second period and in that forty five minutes the teams looked more evenly matched, however after County had scored their goals they looked the more composed of the two sides and could have stretched their lead without their defence ever really being threatened.

The Queens line up today varied from last weeks only in so far as Geoff Paterson replaced Bryan Caldwell with Paterson moving into the middle of the park and Boyle playing wide left. On the bench Stevie Mallan returned from suspension and Kevin Robison from injury, there were no places for either Kerr or Caldwell. John Hillcoat had recovered sufficiently to play the full ninety minutes however he was obviously still feeling the effects of his injury as he delegated the taking of goal kicks.

Queens looked impressive throughout the first half and made a number of half chances, mainly down the right hand side of the pitch and due to the combination of McMillan, Dickson, Adams and McLean. Geoff Paterson too showed what an exciting prospect he is with a couple of telling through balls and some effective chasing in the centre of the park.

Upfront Scott McLean was the main goal threat for Queens with at least three good efforts including one spectacular overhead kick either being saved or going narrowly wide, although Marc Cleeland demonstrated why he favours a midfield role as he failed to do justice to two excellent chances by scuffing one shot and failing to connect with another whilst the goals were in sight.

Clear cut chances were however at a premium and perhaps the best effort of the half was Ally McMillan's free kick from just outside the penalty box which flew just past Nicky Walker's right hand post. See photograph below.

Free kick

Then a Geoff Paterson long range effort was deflected wide form a corner from which George Rowe headed narrowly past the post.

The second half was only three minutes old when Queens conceded the customary "soft goal", a mix up in the defence allowed troublesome County winger Kinnaird to chance a looping header which the wind caught and kindly took into the net whilst the static Dumfries back line looked on in disbelief.

Worryingly heads immediately went down and the Doonhamers never looked like regaining the dominance shown during that first forty five minutes. The second goal was inevitable and indeed when a free kick was awarded just outside the box in the sixty sixth minute and Kinnaird stepped up it didn't take Mystic Meg to predict a goal. What was disappointing however was the lack of movement from the defence to attempt to block the shot as it was taken.

The Staggies could have increased their lead following this but some fine goalkeeping by John Hillcoat kept the scoreline at 2-0.

The only other notable incident of the half was the sending off of Denis Boyle who had retaliated by lashing out when kicked in the back, both offenders getting the clean bath water.


Storm clouds gathering over Palmerston in more ways than one.

[Back to Queens front page]