Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 4 : 1 CLYDE 27th September 2003
Rating: 7.03
Rating: 7.58
Rating: 7.39
Rating: 7.33
Rating: 6.78
Rating: 7.24
Rating: 7.23
Rating: 7.97
Rating: 6.25
Rating: 7.66
S2 2
Rating: 8.68
S1 - 58
Rating: 5.95
S2 - 84
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Queens completed a comprehensive victory over the much fancied Bully Wee today and the scoreline didn't flatter Queens in any way.

The sixteen selected had only one change to it from the midweek game at Dingwall as Willie Gibson made it back onto the bench in place of Emilio Jaconelli.

The opening fifteen minutes of the match were reasonably quiet with both sides feeling each other out, Clyde were looking to close Queens down very quickly in midfield but the combination of Bowser and Bagie have now formed a formidable understanding in the centre of the park, one that allows Bowser more freedom to push forward.

On fifteen minutes Sean O'Connor was hauled down on the edge of the box as he was almost one-on-one with Halliwell, Eric Paton and Paul Talbot lined up the free-kick to the right of centre and as some expected the left-footed Talbot to strike, Eric Paton smashed the ball through the wall, past Halliwell and into the far corner of the goal to open the scoring.

Eric Paton sends the ball into the net

Youngster Paul Burns, despite his frame, looks to be a top quality prospect as he caused problems down the right hand side of the park combining well with Eric Paton. Clyde impressed everyone with a super passing movement as they managed to retain the ball for quite a few minutes, however they could do nothing with the final ball.

Queens were enjoying the most effective possession and at times it looked as though the Clyde team were a man short as they were basically over-run in the centre of the park. Their best effort of the half to date was a looping effort from McConalogue on thirty six minutes that cleared the bar by some distance. Queens then produced the second goal that their dominance had deserved as Alex Burke broke free down the right drawing the defence before playing the ball to the far post for Sean O'Connor to tap into the back of the net.

A third goal almost followed very quickly as Burke and O'Connor played the ball between them as they tor through the Bully Wee defence, Sean had the shot but Haliwell was quick enough to block at his near post.

Youngster Paul Burns then had a superb chance as he was put through on the 'keeper, his inexperience showed however as his effort was direct at the 'keeper, from the clearance the ball fell to McConalogue on the edge of the Queens box and this time the former Dundee United player struck a perfect drive into the top corner of the net giving Colin Scott no chance.

The second half saw Clyde alter their line-up and formation as Player Manager Kernaghan substituted himself for David Hagan allowing McLaughlin to drop back into defence and Hagan to work down the left of the park. The changes and their more traditional approach down either wing almost worked as it put Queens on the back foot for a while. McConalogue almost put in a diving header but Jim Thomson was in close attendance and forced the ball wide, then from a corner McLaughlin had a free header that he was unable to direct away from Scott and the 'keeper claimed comfortably.

Former Queens youth player Mark Gilhaney replaced Ian Harty in 50 minutes to a rousing cheer from the home fans who remembered Harty well for his early exits from the field of play when with local rivals Stranraer, in truth today though he never posed the type of threat he used to with the Cleyholers.

Shortly after Andy Aitken was brought on to replace Paul Talbot with Joe McAlpine moving forward allowing Aitken to slot in at left-back.

Clyde were pushing forward at this stage and a free-kick on the right was swept across the box and was heading for the far corner when Colin Scott made a last second dive to push the effort away and round for a corner. A second corner followed as Colin Scott struggled to deal with the crosses that were being put in.

Queens were relieved soon after as a pass-back by a Clyde defender was anticipated well by Alex Burke who took the ball round Halliwell and slotted it home to extend the lead.

Clyde then had what was probably their last attempt on goal as Andy Millen struck a shot from outside the box that looked goal bound until Colin Scott managed to intervene with a superb diving save that smothered the ball.

Disaster for the visitors and delight for the homesters as Halliwell failed to control a pass-back, Alex Burke demonstrated why the 'keeper is a 'keeper and nicked the ball off of him before stroking it home from an acute angle to the 'keepers acute embarrassment.

O'Connor looks for a way through

Andy Aitken was the only Queens player booked today and a harsh one it appeared as both he and Andy Smith clashed with neither getting the ball, Smith fell to the ground and Aitken played on but was adjudged to be the guilty party.

With fifteen minutes to go Queens had a very strong penalty claim turned away as Sean O'Connor was wrestled with in the penalty area. And shortly afterwards Alex Burke beat the 'keeper again but was faced with a wall of defenders and couldn't find a way through. With five minutes left Alex Burke left the field to a standing ovation as Gary Wood replaced him up front.

The final whistle went and the team were rightly cheered from the field, this was a solid display in which the visiting side never looked as though they could cause the defence much trouble. The win moves us up into third place in the league and a very well deserved third place it is too.
Download a vide clip of the last two goals today by clicking HERE it is 2.14MB so will take quite a while on a dial-up connection. Thanks to David Gow for the clip.

[Back to Queens front page]