Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 4 : 0 MORTON 27th April 2002
Rating: 7.73
Rating: 7.75
Rating: 7.87
Rating: 7.95
Rating: 7.31
S1 1
Rating: 7.46
Rating: 8.24
Rating: 7.45
Rating: 7.89
Rating: 7.76
Rating: 8.83
S1 - 67 - 1
Rating: 7.00
S2 - 67
Rating: 6.57
S3 - 72
Rating: 6.28
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the Lmom League Table.

Member No. or name:
What a fantastic day today was, perfect in every way apart from a wee bit of a drenching during the second half when the heavens opened, but who really noticed anyway. The ground was almost full to capacity with 6158 fans showing what potential the Doonhamers have, (this was the third highest crowd in the whole of Scotland including the SPL and the highest by far in the SFL), the singing started at around 2.30pm and continued well after 5.00pm as the Doonhamers capped off a memorable season with a deadly display of finishing in front of their home fans.

The side saw one change to that which took the field at Forfar last week as the injured Alan Gray missed his only game of the season and was swapped directly with Allan Moore, other than that it was as you were. The game opened with Queens determined to carry on where they had left off last weekend and immediately pressurised the visitors goal, the pressure wasn't long in paying off as John O'Neill sent a ball into the path of Peter Weatherson as the on-form striker turned behind his defender to receive the pass before cooly lobbing over the keeper and into the net, a fantastic start.

More was to come and Queens continued to dominate, on fifteen minutes a corner by Joe McAlpine was headed out to the edge of the box by a Ton defender, Allan Moore was there though to collect the ball and drive it into the back of the net to double the lead and send the crowd into raptures.

Queens were in command but Morton did have a couple of breakaway moves in the first half that could have troublesome, however the defence was solid and Colin Scott was unflappable in the home goal. Whilst at the other end Peter Weatherson came close as he picked up a loose ball on the edge of the box before sending a dipping shot onto the roof of the net, Graham Connell then underlined his strength as a midfielder as he broke through the defence and faced with only the keeper to beat managed to beat himself a the ball took a deceptive bobble. The quality of Allan Moore's crosses were telling today and in the thirtieth minute he combined well with Derek Lyle who had won what had looked like a loose ball on the halfway line, and sent a perfect cross onto the head of Peter Weatherson, Nellie's effort was acrobatically tipped over the bar by the visiting keeper. The half ended with Queens forcing four consecutive corners, finally the referee tired of them and blew for half time.

Half time 2-0

The second half started as the first had with Queens pressing from the off, within minutes John O'Neill had flicked a header goalward only for it to be deflected wide of the goal, then Paddy Atkinson surged forward from his attacking right back position to send in a shot that looked like it had goal written all over it only to see it skim past the upright. A couple of changes were made in the sixty-seventh minute with Joe McAlpine having picked up an injury moments earlier and Allan Moore making way for Sean O'Connor and Steve Bowey respectively. Five minutes later and Queens third substitution was made as Jon Crawford joined the pitch as Derek Lyle had to leave following an accidental clash that appeared to damage his mouth.

A further three minutes on and John O'Neill had notched his twenty first goal of the season as he was fed by Peter Weatherson, the midfielder ran in on goal, his effort was initially blocked by the keeper but it fell back to Jonjo who had the easy task of putting the ball into the empty goal and increasing the lead to three.

Paddy Atkinson looked hungry for another goal today as he attempted to capitalise on a short corner that was fed back to him, his effort from all of twenty five yards again just whistling past the post. With only four minutes to play the match scoring was completed as John O'Neill picked up the ball on the edge of the box, strode forward and shot, his effort was blocked and ended up at Peter Weatherson's feet, his effort was also deflected before falling to Sean O'Connor, the big man made no mistake as he buried the ball in the back of the net for his second goal from the bench in two weeks. That was it game over and another comfortable victory.

Despite repeated requests for the fans to stay off the pitch some still decided that they could go on, the good work of the other ninety nine percent of the fans present in their chants for them to leave the pitch certainly worked very well and the championship presentation was not delayed too long. The players then received their championship medal from the Lord Macfarlane of Bearsden in the following order, Colin Scott, Derek Anderson, Paddy Atkinson, Gordon Connelly, Alan Gray, Joe McAlpine, Allan Moore, Barry Donald, Graham Connell, John O'Neill, Stuart Davidson, Steve Bowey, Derek Allan, Andy Aitken, Jon Crawford, George O'Boyle, Peter Weatherson, Derek Lyle, Sean O'Connor, (Jamie Campbell, Stuart Dawson, Stuart Robertson - medals to follow and finally club captain Jim Thomson who also received the Bell's Scottish League Second Division Championship Trophy. A lap of honour followed along with a mass dry dive across the pitch and then the obligatory champagne spray celebrations.

A great performance capping the greatest season seen by almost all of the Queens fans in attendance today.


A Packed Palmerston

Hail the Champions

The team takes the plaudits with the trophies on show

Dive, dive, dive

Some fans just didn't want to leave!

[Back to Queens front page]