For previous reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 1-1 QUEEN'S PARK23rd December 2000
Rating: 6.44
Rating: 6.22
Rating: 6.78
Rating: 6.74
Rating: 6.33
Rating: 6.30
Rating: 6.11
Rating: 5.63
Rating: 5.52
Rating: 6.37
Rating: 6.70
52 mins
Rating: 5.15
65 - mins
Rating: 5.11
69 - mins
Rating: 4.67
Rating: -
Rating: -
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the MoM League Table.

Member No:
The team lines today read exactly as they did last Monday evening and for the first few minutes the result looked to headed the same way, particularly when Peter Weatherson rose unchallenged to nod a Steven Skinner cross into the empty net on eight minutes. It took only a further minute for that early optimism to be dismissed as Kevin Finlayson cracked a tremendous volley into the top left hand corner of David Mathieson's goal to tie the scores at 1-1, the way it would end.

It was end to end stuff for a long spell, Des McKeown next with a shot come cross from the left touchline following a Warren Hawke lay-off, Des watched in agony as his effort, which had everyone beaten, came back off the bar.

At the other end David Mathieson was proving his worth with an exceptionally agile save when he pushed away a net bound header.

Indeed one of the main reasons that the score did not change again was the exceptional form of both young goalkeepers as Colin Stewart proved in the twenty third minute as he threw himself across goal to tip away a Paul Kinnaird free kick that was headed for the 'keepers top right corner.

The defences too were tight at both ends, Andy Aitken was solid all afternoon and put in a goal saving tackle on twenty six minutes as a loose Jon Sunderland ball was pounced upon by Finlayson who broke through only to have Aitken clear from his loaded toe.

The second half began with team lines as the first but in only seven minutes John Connolly attempted to change things with the replacement of Dean Muir, who was getting no change out of his more physical opponents, with Phil Nixon.

There were surprisingly few clear cut chances in the second period as Queens pressed forward and Queen's Park adopted a defence in depth and attack on the break policy. Jarrod Suddick's introduction put more pressure on the visitors defence but they are the tightest defence in the league and it showed.

Frustration was showing in the home side's play as they were on the receiving end of a number of unfavourable decisions. Peter Weatherson, who had been tremendous all afternoon in creating space for himself finally let his inexperience show as he was firstly booked for tumbling in the box under pressure from a visiting defender and then immediately booked for dissent in questioning the referee's decision. An early bath for the young frontman and hopefully a lesson learned.

Overall Queens performance never matched that of Monday night as a robust and speedy Spiders side never let the midfield settle and as a result Queens had to rely more than once on a more direct route.

[Back to Queens front page]