Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
2 S1
S1 - 68
S2 - 78
S3 - 79
Apologies if you were hoping to vote for the man of the match from today's game, unfortunately the new website server isn't compatable with the old and as a result we are unable to take your feedback. We hope that a similar system will be available on the new site.

Colin J
Queens started the new season as they finished the last one, in cup tie action, Shielfield Park is not exactly Hampden though and the crowd was about 48,000 down on that sunny day in May. A cup is a cup though and it was clear Gordon Chisholm had every intention of winning this tie. He lined up with an attacking formation of 4-3-3 including seven of the Cup Final starters. MacDonald and McCann have now left the club of course whilst Harris is injured. The other absentee was Andy Aitken who sat on the bench with Craig Reid preferred as Jim Thomson's partner. Berwick are a very much changed side from last season and this was a chance for them to see how they matched up against a decent full time outfit.

Queens started sharply with Burns failing to control an early chance before Kean tested keeper McGurk with a 10 yard shot. Berwick weren't completely out of things early on though and Jim Lister had a headed chance from a free kick although he caused Halliwell no great problem with it. In ten minutes Barr headed McQuilken's corner narrowly wide of the post. Queens grabbed the lead in 13 minutes though when Dobbie outmuscled a defender onto a high ball forward. He turned inside and should probably have scored but McGurk parried his effort.The rebound sprung into the middle of goal though and both Burns and Kean might have got it but they stood aside as Sean O'Connor was best placed to bury the opening goal from 12 yards out.

Macfarlane puts Kean through - from David Gow on the terracing
Five minutes later Kean played Burns through on goal but his shot lacked the power to trouble McGurk. O'Connor was next to pass up a chance to double the lead when he lashed a loose ball way over the top. Another goal had to come and it duly did in 31 minutes when McLean gave the ball straight to Dobbie near his own penalty area. Dobbie ghosted past two defenders like they weren't there before crossing just out of McGurk's reach for Kean to nod into the empty net.

Lister got behind the Queens backline for the first time all game shortly after the restart but failed to test Halliwell with his low shot. A minute later some great interplay between Tosh and Burns set up Dobbie for a chance at goal but he fired over. On 38 minutes Jim Thomson headed McQuilken's left sided corner against the crossbar and MacFarlane struck the rebound over the top.

O'Connor wins an aerial battle - from David Gow on the terracing
Berwick began the second half with a substitution, Little replacing Adams as they sought a way back into the game. And within two minutes they were back in things. Ian Little latched onto a forward ball and struck early at goal. Halliwell got a hand to the ball but couldn't keep it out.

Queens were stirred and twice Dobbie went close, first with a long range drive for the top corner and then with a flashing shot across the face of goal. The response was leading somewhere and it arrived in 58 minutes when Barr's cross was met with a towering header into the back of the net by O'Connor. The striker should have completed his hat-trick seconds later too when he got clean through on goal but McGurk saved well at his feet. Berwick then replaced Steven Kiczynski with Peter McMahon before Kean appeared set to add a 4th from Dobbie's brilliant cross only for McGurk to grab the ball on the line. It was like the Alamo now as Kean's shot was parried by McGurk and Dobbie's rebound headed off the line. A 4th had to come and it did in 65 minutes as McQuilken's teasing ball into the box was poked home by Stewart Kean.

Heads he wins - from David Gow on the terracing
The match was won and Chisholm took the chance to make a change as Arbuckle replaced O'Connor on 68 minutes. There was no let up in the one way traffic though and Tosh was next in towards goal but he hit the side-netting with his effort. On a brief foray up the other end Lister's header forced a save from Halliwell but nothing he didn't look like dealing with. On 76 minutes McGowan replaced Dobbie whilst, for Berwick, Gribben replaced Howat and, two minutes later, Robertson replaced Tosh to complete the changes for the day. Seconds later Craig Barr made it five one with a header nodded over McGurk from McQuilken's free kick.

Burns almost added a sixth before Craig Barr picked up a booking for dissent with five minutes to go.There was little further goalmouth action though and Queens progressed very comfortably in the end. The League business starts next week.

Ewan Lithgow

A fine five to complete a priceless record of Queen of the South goalscoring made possible by David Gows dedicated hard work for the Official Queen of the South Website over the past eight years. Thank you David.

Colin J

[Back to Queens front page]