Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
CLYDE 4 : 0 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 18th November 2006
Rating: 5.70
1 (og)
Rating: 4.63
Rating: 4.07
Rating: 3.38
Rating: 4.41
Rating: 3.85
Rating: 4.00
Rating: 4.74
Rating: 5.26
Rating: 4.93
Rating: 4.78
S1 - 46
J Thomson
Rating: 3.96
S2 - 46
Rating: 3.96
S3 - 67
A Thomson
Rating: 4.07
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Ian McCall made two changes to the side that gained a third straight 2-0 home win last week, one enforced, one not. Neil Scally's suspension saw Scott McKenzie come into midfield whilst McCall addressed the lack of pace at the back by bringing in Stephen Swift for Jim Thomson. Into the squad came Scott Robertson and Barry Callahan, replacing Scally and Sean O'Connor. Clyde were pretty much full strength with Arbuckle getting this week's nod at No 9.

The game had a slow start and Gary Arbuckle was the first to aim a worthwhile shot on goal in ten minutes, his effort deflected away off Lauchlan. A minute later Arbuckle caught McCaffrey in possession in midfield and sent Bryson scampering down the right wing. His low ball in was met by Arbuckle arriving and should have been the opener only to be denied by Colin Scott. Next up O'Donnell tested the veteran keeper from distance but again he was equal to it.

Wing wizard Willie looks to get in a cross
Des McCaffrey picked up the game's first booking on the quarter hour for a trip on Malone. From the resulting free kick Clyde earned a corner and from that first McCaffrey cleared Bryson's shot off the line and then McGowan's effort cannoned off Lauchlan. Moments later O'Donnell lashed over from 12 yards as Clyde turned the screw. However, Queens weathered the storm and seemed to have got through to half time before disaster struck in the final minute of the half.

In the 45th minute, from a left sided corner, the ball found its way to Dougie Imrie beyond the back post. He beat his man and rifled a shot across the face of goal which appeared to strike Neil McGregor and then deflect past Colin Scott off Jim Lauchlan. No idea who will claim credit for it! As if that wasn't bad enough 30 seconds later it was two. Bryson broke clear down the right as Queens were caught cold and fired a low cross that Gary Arbuckle, Stephen Swift and Colin Scott all went for at the same time. Again it was far from clear who got the last touch but the guy's with the club video reckon it was Swift. Forty four minutes hard work up in smoke in thirty daft seconds.

Andy Barrowman in the thick of it
Half time saw Jim Thomson and Scott Robertson replace McKenzie and Moon. Des McCaffrey moved to left wing back, Willie Gibson switched to right wing back and Eric Paton moved into central midfield. The half was only two minutes old when Willie Gibson's clever pass set up Weir with a chance which was blocked low to his right by David Hutton. Dougie Imrie was then booked for a foul on Willie Gibson. On 54 minutes Scott Robertson twice had the chance to open his goal account in the first team. First he latched onto Weir's through ball but was denied by a last ditch McKeown challenge then when McCaffrey played it back in the ball fell for him again but he was too slow to get his strike away. Inevitably though Clyde scored their third a minute later. A right sided free kick was played into the box and Dougie Imrie wheeled and fired goalward. His shot was probably going marginally wide but was deflected in by Gary Arbuckle. Clyde immediately replaced McGregor with Harris.

Wing action on the far side of the pitch
On 56 minutes John O'Neill was booked for dissent and a minute later Colin Scott joined him after racing from his goal to trip Arbuckle out wide. Andy Thomson replaced Graham Weir on 67 minutes and actually took the ball round Hutton with his first touch but unfortunately he had pushed the ball too wide. On 77 minutes Imrie and O'Donnell were replaced with McKenna and McCann and five minutes later the pair combined only for Scott to block McKenna's drive. Seconds later though Lauchlan was adjudged to have fouled Eddie Malone in the box and Paul McHale netted the penalty. McHale forced a fine save out of Scott shortly afterward from a 25 yard drive but there was no further scoring and, though Queens narrowly avoided a third straight five goal away defeat, there was to be no encouragement for us today.

Ewan Lithgow
Photographs - David Gow

[Back to Queens front page]