Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 0 : 0 ABERDEEN 25th January 2003
Rating: 7.31
Rating: 6.83
Rating: 7.93
Rating: 7.34
Rating: 7.02
Rating: 7.31
Rating: 7.72
Rating: 6.55
Rating: 7.07
Rating: 7.64
Rating: 7.67
S1 - 62
Rating: 6.63
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Member No. or name:
If Queens had won this afternoon in front of a fantastic crowd of 5716, (4300 Doonhamers), then no one could have complained, the match was reasonably even but Queens had some good chances in the last half-hour and if they had been taken then the victory would have been deserved. As it is Queens face a mid-week replay at Pittodrie, our fist visit for thirty years, on Tuesday 4th February. Aberdeen will however be more anxious about that fixture than the Doonhamers.

Queens team line-up saw only two changes to that which started against Alloa last weekend, Andy Goram, making his 750th appearance, for Colin Scott (with Scott taking the reserve 'keepers slot instead of Jamie Campbell, and Derek Lyle making the bench after injury in place of Derek Allan. There was however a positional change as Andy Aitken played at left-back and Derek Anderson partnered Jim Thomson in the middle.

Queens started positively and within the first few minutes Brian McLaughlin had a superb chance following the second throw in from the right that was headed on across the box to McLaughlin on the edge of the box, however Brian's effort ended up well over the bar.

Andy Goram then had an early touch as he comfortably collected a high cross from a Dons cross.

The Dons press in the first half

A nasty clash of heads was the next action as John O'Neill and Russell Anderson challenged for a high ball, Jonjo had to leave the field for a few minutes and received seven stitches in the process. Queens though held themselves together well with just ten men in the absence of Jonjo for three full minutes.

Aberdeen though were showing a fair bit of skill themselves and in ten minutes D'Jaffo and Clark managed to get in each others way as the ball was bobbling in front of goal and their combined effort flew out of danger.

Aberdeen then held the advantage in terms of pressure and advantage until the half hour mark although Queens did provide moments of danger through Eric Paton who provided more of a defensive right midfield role today, his effort midway through the half skimmed past the post with Preece well beaten.

Aberdeen then had a let-off as a deep John O'Neill cross was missed by the entire Aberdeen defence only to bounce off the foot of Peter Weatherson and away for a goal kick.

Queens increased their pressure in the remaining minutes of the half as first Eric Paton with a splendid effort that flew just past the 'keepers post and then Peter Weatherson was set-up with a clear chance on goal from an Eric Paton free-kick on the right, Nellie though seemed to be taken by surprise and spurned the chance to open the scoring.

However up at the other end Queens almost fell behind as confusion in the defence allowed a ball to run past the post with everyone beaten.

The final chance of the half fell to Queens as Steve Bowey found himself in space on the edge of the box and curled an effort high over the bar.


With no changes at half-time and John O'Neill sporting a fresh bandage Queens continued where they had left-off. Aberdeen however seemed a bit more determined during the early stages of the half and Queens had to battle to regain some dominance, the big change coming on 62 minutes when Sean O'Connor was introduced for Brian McColligan and Peter Weatherson dropped back into a midfield role.

Sean says hello to the Dons defence

Big Sean made an immediate impact by springing the Dons offside trap, the striker in his first match back following his ankle injury was clean through on goal but a poor first touch sent the ball too far in front of him and Preece cleared well.

A minute later and with Queens now on almost all-out attack Peter Weatherson let fly from thirty yards with an effort that looked like goal of the third round all the way, however Preece managed to get across his goal and push the ball away for a corner that resulted in Andy Aitken heading over.

Sponsors MoM Bowser in a typical midfield tussle

In the closing stages both sides had chances, and Aberdeen effort through a ruck of defenders and a Sean O'Connor back to goal manoeuvre the most notable.

Queens could have and should have won today, there was no evidence of superior fitness or skill from the visitors, when the going got tough in the later stages it was Queens who responded, not the Dons. The replay at Pittodrie in just over a weeks time will be relished more by the Doonhamers than the Aberdonians, with the prize a return trip to Dens to avenge a league cup defeat earlier in the season.

[Back to Queens front page]