Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
S1 - 46 1
S2 - 46 1
S3 - 66
Queens today lined up with much the same side as had played against Newcastle United on Wednesday night with the exceptions of Colin Scott in goal and Stephen Payne up front partnering David McNiven in place of Gary Wood.

Chester City welcomed Queens as the first Scottish side to have played at the new Deva Stadium which must be a model stadium with its combination of terracing and seating areas to please everyone. And coming off the back of two wins against Walsall and Cardiff City they must have felt that it would be they who would be sending us homeward to think again.

The first half saw Queens looking a little slow and much of the action took place in the visitors half as the front pairing of McNiven and Payne looked uncomfortable with Payne looking to work on the left more than getting forward. At the back Colin Scott again looked on top form, apart from a moment in the tenth minute when he and Brian Reid failed to communicate allowing Michael Bridge to capitalise and nod the ball into the unguarded net.

Queens though were playing some good passing football but with only David McNiven working as a striker there was little outlet for all the good possession that the midfield enjoyed. As the half drew to a close Colin Scott had to be down smartly to push away an effort from a very tight angle as Bridge beat Jim Thomson down the line and challenged Scott at the post.

Half time saw two changes - Paul Burns for David Bagan and Gary Wood for Stephen Payne. However as has happened in the past two friendlies we gave away a goal very shortly into the half. Ben Davies won the ball on the outside of the box and without a defender closing him down he struck an unstoppable effort into the top right hand corner of the goal giving Colin Scott no chance and seemingly putting the match beyond Queens.

Skinned again
Queens had different ideas though and the character of the side was again greatly in evidence as they began to make an impression on the home defence and in front of the sizable travelling support. No more so than down the right hand side where Paul Burns was tormenting Kevin McIntyre, it was McIntyre who made a cynical challenge on Burnsey that lead to a free kick on the right. The ball was played deep to Brian Reid on the far side of the box and the big man put in a superb ball back across that Gary Wood who did what we know he can as he rose powerfully to meet the cross and bullet the ball past Brown in the home goal.

Text book header
Queens lifted their game further and introduced even more pace as Willie Gibson replaced Brian McLaughlin just seconds after the goal. Tommy English looked like scoring on a couple of occasions as first he made the 'keeper scramble to push the ball out for a corner and then had his second effort saved low at his left hand post from the resultant corner.

A hand ball just over the half way line lead to free kick to Queens which Willie Gibson took, the ball came to David McNiven but unselfishly he spotted Paul Burns with some space and played a nicely weighted ball into his path, Burnsey curled the ball into the top left hand corner of the net with his left foot to score what was the goal of the game. This spurred Queens on and a winning goal looked possible, particularly when Willie Gibson and Bowser combined down the left ending in Willie forcing the 'keeper into a fine save. Finally both David McNiven and Steve Bowey had Brown stretching but neither could find the precision required to win the game.

Burnsey celebrates his superb strike
In summary the second half performance was superb and Burnseys goal well worth the trip. Queens have proven themselves at least equal to a very good and strong Chester side and must be happy with the spirit shown by the players today. Now for the real stuff!

[Back to Queens front page]