Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
Rating: 6.98
Rating: 7.29
Rating: 4.81
Rating: 7.02
Rating: 5.18
Rating: 6.92
Rating: 6.66
Rating: 6.77
Rating: 6.53
Rating: 8.27
Rating: 6.17
S1 - 23
Rating: 6.28
S2 - 57
Rating: 5.53
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
To no great surprise Gordon Chisholm kept faith with the regular eleven that has served him so well lately. The only change came on the bench where Eric Paton returned to the sixteen in place of Robert Campbell. Opposite number Ian McCall had many more troubles to seek with top scorer Liam Buchanan still missing through injury. He was at least boosted by the return from injury of Alan Archibald and Mark Roberts as well as the addition of Damon Gray, signed on loan from Hibernian this week. The young striker though had to be content with a place on the bench alongside a trio who played for Queens under McCall in Craig Hinchcliffe, Stevie Murray and Ryan McStay.

Queens started in determined fashion and inside the first two minutes Tosh sent McQuilken clear down the left side and his hard, low cross only just eluded Dobbie in the middle before being turned out for a corner which was eventually scrambled clear. The wind was making it difficult for both sides to produce flowing stuff though and neither keeper had been troubled before Queens were forced into a change on 23 minutes. Robert Harris had picked up an injury which forced McQuilken to drop into the full back slot and, when it was clear the left back couldn't continue, he was replaced by John O'Neill. O'Neill then should probably have scored with his first touch as Paul Burns broke clear on the right and sent in a looping cross met by a full length diving header by the substitute at the back post but the ball hit the wrong side of the netting.

McCann clears with O'Connor in close attendance - from David Gow on the terracing
The match turned in the 33rd minute with a poor challenge by Jim Thomson on the halfway line. It was a bad challenge without a doubt, through the back on Mark Roberts, but for me the reaction of the Jags players made the referee's mind up for him much more than the challenge itself did. After some crowding round the referee and a bit of a delay a red card was produced and Thomson had to leave the field. The Queens players were incensed and John O'Neill picked up a booking for good measure for dissent. With Harris already off the park some serious reorganisation was required and Sean O'Connor dropped in beside Andy Aitken at the back. We managed to see things through to half time without any great problem though.

At the interval Thistle replaced Storey with Paul Keegan and needless to day they were straight on the attack with McKeown going close from 20 yards. Stevie Tosh picked up a booking in the 49th minute for a trip. On 58 minutes Chisholm made his second change, introducing the running of John Stewart for Stephen Dobbie who was never likely to plough the lone furrow to any great effect. After 20 minutes of huffing and puffing to no great effect McCall decided that Stevie Murray was the man to unlock our makeshift defence and introduced him for McKeown. Four minutes later Damon Gray came on for Roberts to complete Jags' changes.

JT makes an early clearance - from David Gow on the terracing
Willie Kinniburgh was booked for a foul on Stewart as Queens made a foray forward on 72 minutes and surprisingly we began to show as a threat at the other end again despite the one man disadvantage. On 84 minutes though it took some heroic stuff by Aitken and then Tosh to prevent Thistle scoring as they threw themselves in the way of shots. John Stewart was next in the book for a foul on 89 minutes and yet seconds later he could have been the hero as he broke clear of the Thistle defence to force the game's first meaningful save out of Tuffey. In the end though, a dull match in terms of chances but a ground out point that says a lot about the attitude and aptitude of this squad.

The match moments - from David Gow on the teracing

Ewan Lithgow
Photo's and videos by David Gow

[Back to Queens front page]