Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
PARTICK THISTLE 2 : 0 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 22nd September 2007
Rating: 6.53
Rating: 6.23
Rating: 6.35
Rating: 5.89
Rating: 6.14
Rating: 5.20
Rating: 5.54
Rating: 6.03
Rating: 5.69
Rating: 5.18
Rating: 6.46
S1 - 59
Rating: 5.20
S2 - 62
Rating: 6.21
S3 - 62
Rating: 5.10
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
It was a case of slips and misses today as Queens somehow managed to turn a match that they dominated into a two goal defeat. The first slip came from Eric Paton as he slipped when releasing an ambitious cross field ball that was intercepted and set up Liam Buchanan for a quality finish, the second when Jamie MacDonald slipped as a corner was floated across leaving Thistle substitute McKinlay free to head home for the second goal ten minutes from the end. The misses - well there were too many to quickly summarise so here goes;

The starting line up remained as it had versus Clyde last weekend, the only changes being on the bench with John O'Neill preferred to Jamie Mole. Queens started very brightly and in the first minute Stephen Dobbie had the chance to open the scoring as he worked his way clean through on Craig Hinchcliffe in the home sides goals, with Sean O'Connor looking for a cross Dobbie took the strikers option but the 'keeper was quick enough to push block the effort and push the ball away for a corner. From that corner O'Connor should have done better as he was allowed a free header in the centre of the goals and failed to trouble the target never mind the 'keeper.

Stephen Dobbie then produced a defence beating ball down the wing to Sean O'Connor, Sean turned inside and made his way across the eighteen yard box leaving defenders in his wake before firing an effort that went just wide of the post. Dobbie was doing a great job as provider and set up Steve Tosh second later but Tosh tried to place his effort and Hinchcliffe collected comfortably - and all this inside the first six minutes.

Queens then had to demonstrate some defensive ability as Partick made a couple of movements forward. It was only a great tackle from Jim Thomson that prevented a one-on-one with a Thistle forward and Jamie MacDonald, and then from the resultant corner MacDonald produced a good save to deny Partick.

MacDonald follows the ball - Photo from David Gow
It was the 10th minute that saw the first Queens slip, as Paton was found wanting with his crossfield ball, the finish by Buchanan was a good one as he curled it round MacDonald and into the far corner from outside the area despite the attentions of Neil Scally. No one could argue however that it was against the run of play at that time.

Buchanan fires in the first goal - Photo from Sandy Robertson

Dobbies effort from this free kick crashed off the wall - Photo from David Gow
Play did stagnate for twenty minutes or so as neither side had the upper hand and it was Queens who next threatened. Stephen Dobbie benefitting from a great through ball from Steve Tosh but only finding a defensive head with his effort toward goal. Just after the half hour mark Jamie MacDonald pulled off a tremendous one handed save down low at his right hand post. And as the action in the first half drew to a close it was Jim Lauchlan that had to make a last ditch tackle to block a Thistle forward as he homed in on goal.

Queens started the second half as they had the first and this time within three minutes Sean O'Connor missed a great chance when Stephen Dobbie fed Steve Tosh who pushed the ball to Sean. The big man who found himself face to face with Hinchcliffe but just couldn't compose himself - maybe half expecting an offside flag - and when his shot did come it was Hinchcliffe again to the rescue as he pushed Sean's effort round the post.

Seans effort was saved by Hinchie - Photo from Sandy Robertson
With 15 minutes of the half gone Sean O'Connor worked himself through the Thistle defence once again, this time, as usual, Hinchcliffe was there to deny him and give Queens a corner. From the corner the ball bobbled about the box and eventually back to the set ball taker McQuilken, his low effort was reached by the diving head of Steve Tosh but the roaming midfielder could only head about ten yards past the post.

Another effort saved by Hinchie - Photo from Sandy Robertson
Gordon Chisholm decided it was time for a change and made all three substitutions within two minutes. First off came Jim Lauchlan for Neil McGowan, second Paul Burns for Brian Gilmour and third Stephen Dobbie for David Bingham - all straight positional replacements. And it made a difference immediately as Gilmour opened up the right side to good effect and Bingham proved effective on the left.

Three minutes later and another Queens chance - again Sean O'Connor clean through, albeit with a very tight angle, but force a corner he did. From the first short corner came another one and from that corner a deep ball found Jim Thomson who forced another great save from Hinchcliffe. It was all Queens in terms of possession and chances at this time and indeed it took Partick twenty five minutes of the half to have their first effort on goal, and it ended up wide of the post.

Chances galore - from David Gow on the teracing
With just ten minutes left and Queens committed to getting an equaliser Partick broke away and forced a corner which saw the second slip as MacDonald couldn't get near to McKinlay to make a challenge. Brian Gilmour was proving troublesome for the Partick defence and managed to beat a few of them in the box only to find his only option a shot with Hinchcliffe well placed to collect.

McKinlay heads in the second goal - Photo from Sandy Robertson

Another effort saved by Hinchie - Photo from Sandy Robertson
The final action of the game saw a Partick striker through on MacDonald but a good save thwarted what would have been an even more unwarranted final score.

In summary Queens deserved points from this match from what was a good performance but their failure to take chances combined with problem footwear and some super saves by former Queen's loan 'keeper Craig Hinchcliffe denied them anything.

[Back to Queens front page]