Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
Rating: 6.67
Rating: 6.71
Rating: 7.55
Rating: 7.16
Rating: 6.10
Rating: 6.97
Rating: 6.17
Rating: 6.84
Rating: 6.24
1 S3
Rating: 8.20
Rating: 7.39
S1 - 50
Rating: 5.96
S2 - 58
A Thomson
Rating: 5.66
S3 - 70
Rating: 5.42
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Sean O'Connor scored the goal which ensured a draw at Brechin, his first since returning to the club, and dedicated it to 'Mr Healing Hands', Kenny Crichton. In the end, first division survival was clinched despite Brechin's late equaliser thanks to St Mirren's victory at Stair Park. The Buddies returned the favour we did for them a week ago and served as the back up in case victory couldn't be achieved. What an accomplishment it has been for Ian McCall and his troops to come back from a 12 point deficit on Burns' Night to ensure safety with a game to spare and only one defeat in the last 12 games but the story for the day centred around the big man from the Black Country. Clearly shattered from his efforts on the day and suffering from an obviously sore knee he was still out in the stands celebrating with the fans at full time.

McCall was forced to make one change to the line up which beat St Johnstone last weekend as Jim Thomson is suspended for the final two games of the season. Instead Gary Wood dropped back into centre half and Paul Burns returned from his own knee injury to take up his usual industrious role in midfield. The only other change saw Shaun Dillon included on the bench in place of Tommy English, presumably for the additional defensive cover he offers.

O'Neill shoots goalward with McCall and Morrison looking on expectantly
Queens made a fast start, clearly intent on clinching an early goal, and Paul Burns manufactured a strike on goal inside the first minute though Nelson made a block without any problem. Three minutes later John O'Neill struck a half volley goalward that was blocked by the a defender, though O'Neill claimed it had been with a hand. After 7 minutes Brechin showed for the first time when David Hannah trundled a shot at goal which Barnard saved easily. It was in truth a poor first half and it was fully 20 minutes before any good football appeared. When it did arrive it was a fine move between Gibson, O'Neill and Weir which set up O'Connor for a curling effort which never really worried Nelson but didn't miss the top corner by much either. A minute later though came that all important breakthrough. Ryan McStay's deep free kick was met with a towering header from O'Connor and Nelson hadn't a prayer.

Nelson despairs as the ball heads for the back of the net

Sean nods home from Ryan's free kick - from David Gow on the terraces
Brechin tried to hit back immediately but Gibson couldn't make as good a connection with King's lovely cross and his header flew wide. Around the half hour mark both Darren Smith and Graham Weir were booked for separate showings of dissent and a minute later the on loan Hearts striker was a very lucky boy to remain on the park for me as he clearly appeared to elbow Craig McEwan in a mid-air challenge. On 36 minutes Barnard made another comfortable save from King's shot on the turn before Paul Deas picked up another yellow card for a cynical challenge on Weir. Before half time John O'Neill could have twice doubled the advantage but first leathered over the bar after collecting a Walker error and then struck straight at Nelson from Burns pass.

Kenny's magic healing hands at work on Sean once again

Fans in party mood - from David Gow on the terraces
It's not often that there is much to report at half time in matches but this week there was much. The funny part was one of the many fans in fancy dress taking part it the kickabout with the half-time subs. It can't be very often that Steve Bowey has played in Elvis Presley to score at Glebe Park! More worryingly though half time also saw both Eric Paton and Sean O'Connor out on the park trying to keep mobile and stop injuries from stiffening up. Eric appeared to have the bigger problem. However, when the second half began there had been no change to either team. That wasn't the case for long though as five minutes was more than enough time to see that Eric Paton's season had gone a half too far. Shaun Dillon was the replacement and Willie Gibson switched wings accordingly. By then David White had joined his Brechin defensive colleagues in the book for a challenge on Weir at the edge of the box. Gibson's first action of the new position was almost crucial though as he sent O'Connor away down the right side. The big man beat Nelson to the ball and lifted it into the middle before being poleaxed by the 'keeper. O'Connor crumbled to the turf as Weir failed to head the loose ball home. Before play could restart the home side replaced Graham Gibson with Chris Templeman.

Next up with the chance to clinch the win was John O'Neill again, meeting Ryan McStay's 56th minute corner on the run and he really should have scored but missed the target. Two minutes later Andy Thomson replaced Graham Weir and five minutes later the home side switched Kevin Byers for Darren Smith. The substitutions were completed for both sides when Derek Lyle replaced the struggling O'Connor and Steven Hampshire came on for Charlie King in 70 and 72 minutes respectively. Brechin so nearly equalised with quarter of an hour to go with almost an identikit goal to ours. This time it was the giant Chris Templeman who climbed above all to head a free kick beyond Richie Barnard but unlike the home side we had some back up and the again superb Stuart Lovell appeared to hammer the ball away from the line. Two minutes later Andy Aitken so nearly repeated Kevin James trick last week by heading beyond his own keeper but Richie stretched out a big hand behind himself to grasp the ball at the last moment. Queens were rocking, be it nerves or simply determined Brechin pressure, and the equaliser duly arrived on 79 minutes in controversial circumstances. The far side assistant was the important man when he decided that Richie Barnard had carried the ball outside his own area in clearing his box. It's something keepers routinely get away with every week in life but this time the official decided Richie had taken too much liberty. A direct free kick was the award and Stuart Callaghan, a man who once nearly signed for Queens in the Connolly era, rifled the ball into the top left corner.

Barnard just about gets a finger onto Callaghans equalising free kick
The final ten minutes were reasonably incident free as the Queens players first asked the touchline if they needed to push for a winner and then learned that they did not thanks to St Mirren so settled by and large for what they had. Indeed the final whistle went at Stair Park with a good five minutes still to play in Brechin which saw a fairly surreal atmosphere for the final moments. The draw was achieved though and the various fancy dress clad supporters soon broke for the pitch on the final whistle to cheer their heroes into the dressing room. A good natured pitch invasion it was and the crowd refused to leave until first the team had come for another bow and then McCall himself appeared to milk the adulation.

Mission accomplished.

Celebration time

Celebration time - photo from Haydn Gleed

The players celebrate retaining their division one status - from David Gow on the terraces

Ian McCall acknowledges the fans - from David Gow on the terraces

Ewan Lithgow

[Back to Queens front page]