Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
Rating: 6.21
J Thomson
Rating: 5.00
Rating: 6.12
Rating: 7.03
Rating: 5.97
Rating: 6.66
Rating: 6.42
Rating: 5.79
Rating: 5.67
Rating: 5.72
Rating: 6.15
S1 - 55
Rating: 5.72
S2 - 62
Rating: 6.36
S3 - 75
A Thomson
Rating: 5.66
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Ian McCall made three changes to the team that beat Stranraer in midweek, one enforced, one by availability and one by choice. Scott McKenzie started at sweeper in place of the suspended Jim Lauchlan, Sean O'Connor was sufficiently recovered from injury to replace Andy Thomson up front whilst new loan signing from Dundee United Barry Callaghan came in for John Henry in the line up. The now departed Derek Lyle obviously dropped out of the squad too. Colin Scott kept his place in goal ahead of BJ Corr after a solid performance against the 'Cleyholers'.

Queens started brightly and in two minutes Graham Weir pursued a short pass-back, panicking Stephen Robertson into a hurried clearance against the striker which fortunately for Airdrie spun far enough away for the defence to get back before the diminutive striker could regain his feet. Airdrie though meant business and Graeme Holmes seized on a Jim Thomson error to bear down on goal, only to be denied by a fine challenge from McKenzie. From the resulting corner Holmes struck a fine volley which may well have been net-bound had it not hit Kevin Christie. The rebound was hit goalward by Taylor and tipped over by Colin Scott. The action continued end to end with Graham Weir cutting a pass back behind O'Neill when a ball in front of him would have seen him clear whilst McPhee hooked a shot wide of Scott's post shortly after.

Midfield aerial challenges
On the half hour mark Queens had a fortunate escape when Stephen McKeown forced home the ball from a corner only for referee Crawford Allan to award a somewhat generous free kick for a foul on Scott. Again it was end to end though as Thomson's header and O'Neill's flick gave Paul Burns a sight at goal but he shot high and wide. On 35 minutes Neil Scally picked up the first booking of the game for a poor challenge on Lovering.

The second half almost started with a disastrous bang as Brian McPhee's break down the right and early cross was turned against his own post by Jim Thomson with Colin Scott stranded. McPhee headed the resulting corner over. Again Queens responded though and a minute later Paul Burns drove a shot across the face of goal and wide. Ten minutes in, after a mistake by Henderson, Colin Scott was in the right place to clutch a McDougall shot and McCall made his first change with John Henry replacing the debutant Callaghan.

Queens defend a free-kick
On 58 minutes Queens had another let off when McPhee set up Graeme Holmes for a run at goal and, after getting the break of the ball off Jim Thomson, he struck the post from 20 yards. On the rebound the ball was crossed back in and McDougall went very close again. The goal was under bombardment and a succession of corners were seen away by Scott and his back line. The goal though should have arrived on 61 minutes when a long ball from the back dropped perfectly over the home defence for Sean O'Connor to bear down on goal. He tried to poke the ball past Robertson but the keeper made a fine reaction save and got up quickly to smother the loose ball. McCall immediately introduced Willie Gibson for Neil Scally to roars of approval from the travelling support.

On 69 minutes John O'Neill became the second Queens player booked for a deliberate handball of a ball bouncing over his head. The goal arrived on 70 minutes though and what a disaster it was for big Jim Thomson. He elected to let an aimless ball from Stuart Taylor bounce when he didn't have to and Brian McPhee was in like a shot and bearing down on goal. He shot early with the outside of his foot and buried the ball in the corner of goal.

Queens almost equalised within seconds when Willie Gibson ferreted his way into the penalty area and crossed for O'Neill to head narrowly wide. A few minutes later it was Burns shooting at goal from 18 yards and forcing an easy save out of Robertson. Next up it was Gibson driving a shot goalward that was deflected to Weir and from his lay off Burns should have done better than to blast the ball high into the stand. Sandy Stewart then made his first change introducing Graeme Watson for Stephen McKeown.

Queens defend a corner
Then came the moment that changed the game. Last week in the 'Standard' Colin Paterson said there are only three things certain in life: death, taxes and John O'Neill scoring from the spot. He was right again. On 73 minutes O'Neill burst forward from midfield onto the end of a Burns pass and was bundled over in the box. Needless to say John O'Neill picked himself up and buried the spot kick in the bottom left corner. McCall immediately reacted by introducing Andy Thomson for Graham Weir.

O'Neil smashes the penalty home for the equaliser - from Rob Campbell on the terraces.
With ten minutes to go Airdrie brought on Garry Tierney for Neil McGowan and a minute later it was Paul Lovering replaced by Willie McLaren. It took McLaren less than a minute to get booked for pulling back Willie Gibson. From the free kick came Gibson's redemption with a perfect delivery for Jim Thomson to head across goal and Murray Henderson to force the ball home.

Henderson gives us the lead - from David Gow on the terraces.
Seconds later back down our end Gibson was the man on the spot to block a net bound drive from outside the box too. With the clock on 89 minutes Paul Burns became the third Doonhamer booked for holding onto the ball when Airdrie wanted to re-start quickly. From Willie McLaren's resulting free kick Airdrie grabbed the equaliser when Garry Tierney nodded into the bottom corner.

It was in all honesty a match that neither team deserved to win or lose. The goals for column is opened and we have a point on the board. Next up it's Kilmarnock in the CIS Cup.

Ewan Lithgow
Photographs - David Gow

[Back to Queens front page]