Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 1 : 1 BURNLEY 22nd July 2008
Arbuckle (T)
S1 - 49
S2 - 65
S3 - 65
McGowan (T)
S4 - 65
Bell (T)
S5 - 75
S6 - 75
A superb travelling support boosted the crowd to over 1800 on a day when most of the town is off on holiday. The Claret's fans were in good voice too and supported their side from the off.

Queens fielded a strong side but with Sean O'Connor picking up a slight ankle knock in a midweek training session Gordon Chisholm took the opportunity to try out a new striker pairing as Stewart Kean lined up alongside trialist Gary Arbuckle, formerly of Clyde. On the bench were another two trialists, Michael McGowan and goalkeeper Cameron Bell who hails from Annan and was on the books of Kilmarnock. For their part Burnley had a host of internationalists in their starting line up, with both Graham Alexander and Steven Caldwell the most familiar whilst former Dundee midfielder Kevin McDonald was also in Owen Coyle's line-up.

Queens started the brighter and within seven minutes could have taken the lead as a Bob Harris corner found Craig Barr with a free header, 'keeper Brian Jensen didn't come for the ball but Barr could headed straight at the static Jensen. Trialist striker Arbuckle was next to have a chance as he was put through one on one with Jensen, however the giant 'keeper got down well to block away Arbuckle's effort. Queen's continued to dominate the game and forced a number of corners that the visitors did well to clear.

A golden chance to score was set up by Steve Tosh on twenty five minutes as he hit the bye line and crossed along the face of the goal, but there were no takers as everyone missed the ball before it was cleared. Craig Barr had another good effort just on the half hour but again the sheer size of Jensen allowed him to make the block, just quite how much he knew of it is another matter. Arbuckle was then denied in a similar way but this time there was credit to Jensen as his reactions diverted the ball over the bar.

Jensen makes the save from Barr - from Sandy Robertson

Just as the half was coming to a close Burnley scored. It was most definitely against the run of play but it was a well finished effort by Martin Peterson from a tight angle.

Paterson, from a tight angle, opens the scoring for Burnley - from Sandy Robertson

There were no changes at half time for either side and the most notable event early on was Bob Harris looking to have twisted his ankle in the process of clearing a dangerous ball into the box. Harris was immediately replaced by Stephen Dobbie with Jamie McQuilken dropping back into the left back slot and Dobbs operating wide left.

On the hour mark Arbuckle could have done better as a defence splitting pass from Stephen Dobbie put the trialist clean through on goal. Jensen stood up well and blocked the shot but it was disappointing not to see the ball in the back of the net. At the other end Wade Elliott put the ball across the box and Paterson flicked it up and over Halliwell but also over the bar.

Arbuckle has a great chance but Jansen saves

The substitutions for Queens started in earnest with a trio of Adams, McGowan and Bell all coming on for Macfarlane, Arbuckle and Halliwell respectively. Ten minutes later and Aitken and Robertson came on for McQuilken and Tosh.

Finally Queens scored the goal that their play deserved as a Stephen Dobbie corner was dummied by Paul Burns at the near post and came to Stewart Kean at the far post, the 'goal-a-game' striker didn't need an invitation and headed past Jensen to tie the game and keep the home fans happy.

Kean gets his head on the ball and nods it into the net - from Sandy Robertson

It was a well contested match that was enjoyable and the 700 Burnley supporters helped to give it an atmosphere that is rarely seen in pre-season friendlies.

[Back to Queens front page]