Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
MORTON 0 : 3 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 19th January 2008
Rating: 7.00
Rating: 6.73
Rating: 7.20
Rating: 6.80
Rating: 6.73
Rating: 6.47
Rating: 7.53
Rating: 7.07
Rating: 6.86
Rating: 7.00
Rating: 6.38
S1 - 64 3
Rating: 9.44
S2 - 67
Rating: 6.64
S3 - 87
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Gordon Chisholm made two changes to the side that beat Linlithgow last week for the tricky trip to face Morton. Jamie McQuilken replaced Brian Gilmour on the left of midfield, with the diminutive winger dropping right out of the squad to make way for Robert Campbell. In addition Jon Stewart's additional mobility was preferred to the newly re-signed Stephen Dobbie as partner to Sean O'Connor. Morton again featured Palmerston favourite Peter Weatherson in a forward role and one time Queens trialist Ryan McGuffie in a midfield role following his switch from Gretna. However, another rumoured signing from Gretna, Allan Jenkins, was nowhere to be seen. Annan lad Iain Russell though was selected as Weatherson's partner.

Queens started sharply and within the first minute Sean O'Connor should perhaps have done better when presented with an opportunity on the edge of the box. He didn't get his shot away quickly enough though and it deflected wide.In 8 minutes though it was Jamie MacDonald who produced a remarkable save to deny Jamie Stevenson the opener. Paul Burns had failed to get enough distance on the initial clearance and when it was played back in Stevenson's shot seemed destined for the bottom right corner when MacDonald clawed it away with his right hand having failed to reach it with his left! The let offs continued five minutes later as Iain Russell somehow contrived to miss an open goal from 10 yards after poor defending presented him with an opening. Seconds later though, at the other end, Sean O'Connor had a loud penalty appeal turned down as he seemed to be barged over in the box.

Goalmouth action - From David Gow on the terraces
Morton continued to dictate most of the play though and, having been sent clear by Weatherson, Chris Millar should have done better with he next opportunity but went too far wide and could only cross the ball across the face of goal. Queens though were still capable on the break and when McQuilken intercepted a pass on halfway and dashed forward his cross ended up at the feet of John Stewart 18 yards out. Stewart's shot took a massive deflection that completely wrong-footed David McGurn but trickled wide of target.

There was a strange episode after half an hour when Jim Thomson lost a contact lens and eventually had to leave the park for a short period to get it replaced. He returned to good effect though, twice going close with set piece headers before the interval. In the end though Queens would have been relatively happy to weather the early storm and take it to half time level.

Nellie loses out to JT - From David Gow on the terraces
The second half was a much slower paced affair and took a while to get going. John Stewart though missed a gilt edged chance to open his Queens account on 62 minutes when he escaped the defence but lobbed yards over the bar as McGurn advanced. Seconds later Ryan McCann picked up the first booking of the game for a fairly cynical challenge on McAlister. It was time for a change and to great applause Stephen Dobbie replaced John Stewart. Inspirational! With his first touch out wide on the right Dobbie controlled the ball, dribbled past two defenders and placed the ball behind McGurn for the opening goal.

Ryan Harding picked up a booking for a foul on Dobbie soon after and Chisholm sent Eric Paton on for Ryan McCann. On 73 minutes Morton replaced Jamie Stevenson with Brian Graham. Seconds later though and it was 2-0 in equally spectacular style. O'Connor headed the ball back and, as defenders stood off, Dobbie strode forward and let fly into the bottom right corner from 25 yards past a stranded McGurn. A minute later it should have been three as O'Connor and Dobbie exchanged passes before the latter passed up the chance of a hat-trick with a finish that grazed the post on its way past. Neil MacFarlane joined the list of players booked soon after for the latest in a line of several fouls before Iain Russell saw yellow for handball.

Stephen Dobbie signed a new one year contract extension in midweek. What a piece of business that seems to have been! On 84 minutes he completed the first Queens hat-trick since the Twin Towers came down with a header from Paton's cross. For good measure it was a perfect hat-trick too, the first a left foot shot, the second with his right and the third a header. John O'Neill replaced O'Connor with three minutes left.There was still time for Paul Burns to deny Morton a consolation before Russell lashed a loose ball over the bar from three yards out!

In the end a fantastic away result and a brilliant individual performance from Stephen Dobbie earned three crucial points. The good run continues.

Dobbs nets his perfect hat-trick - from David Gow on the teracing

Ewan Lithgow

[Back to Queens front page]