Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 1 : 0 STRANRAER 18th March 2006
Rating: 7.54
Rating: 7.33
Rating: 7.44
Rating: 7.46
Rating: 6.13
Rating: 6.27
Rating: 6.28
Rating: 7.04
Rating: 6.14
Rating: 6.43
Rating: 6.31
S1 - 66
Rating: 5.76
S2 - 71
Rating: 5.82
S3 - 75
Rating: 5.38
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Three changes from last weeks starting line-up saw Paul Burns restored to the eleven in place of John O'Neill who didn't make the sixteen, Andy Thomson back in for Gary Wood who made the bench and Tommy English back in place of the suspended Willie Gibson.

The first half was dominated by Stranraer as they won the midfield battle hands down. Despite their dominance the visitors didn't have much in the way of clear cut chances. It was fully 25 minutes before they could record an effort - a free kick flicked on twice and then headed goalward that Colin Scott tipped over, the effort was offside in any case so wouldn't have counted. Scott though needed to look very sharp just minutes later as a ball was lost in midfield and was fed through to Leigh Hinds who forced the 'keeper into a great diving save.

Payne almost scored with this bar crashing effort
Former Queens player Stephen Payne almost scored a spectacular goal as he sent in a dipping effort from twenty five yards that crashed off the cross bar with Colin Scott well beaten.

Stranraer did have the ball in the net just before the break but it was a clear hand ball by Michael Moore that earned him a yellow card.

Fortunately this was to turn out a classic game of two halves and a different Queens side emerged from the dressing room. Two minutes into the half and Bowser had a really good opportunity to open the scoring as an Andy Thomson cross eluded everyone as it flew across the face of the goal, unfortunately Bowser just couldn't make contact with the ball.

Bowser slams home the goal
A minute later though and the midfield dynamo did make contact, this time with his foot as both he and Andy Thomson followed up a Tommy English free kick, Thomson deflected the ball into the path of Bowser and this time he made no mistake as he drilled the ball below the diving body of Barry John Corr to send the crowd into raptures.

Bowser nets - from David Gow on the terraces.
Ten minutes into the half and Paul Burns was put through, as he ran in on goal he appeared to be sliced down well inside the box, the penalty claims however were waived away by referee Kenny Clark.

Queens were well on top for the remainder of the half and the substitutions of English for Dillon, Wood for Thomson and Lyle for Weir all helped to ensure that there was no way through for the ferrymen.

Lovell gets some treatment
The final ten minutes saw a Paul Burns effort brilliantly saved by Corr and in the final minute a good save by Colin Scott from Willie Martin prevented the visitors from leaving with the result that they had been looking for.

A crowd of over 2,700 witnessed this match with a super number from Stranraer and a fantastically vocal hospitality box for the home side.

Celebrations at full time - from David Gow on the terraces.

[Back to Queens front page]