Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 2 : 2 DUNDEE 17th March 2007
Rating: 7.12
Rating: 6.63
Rating: 7.29
Rating: 4.65
Rating: 6.38
Rating: 6.45
Rating: 6.79
Rating: 7.16
Rating: 8.09
Rating: 5.74
Rating: 6.95
S1 - 65
Rating: 6.35
S2 - 65
Rating: 4.89
S3 - 65 1
Rating: 6.49
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Dundee fans will have left Palmerston this evening aggrieved not to have taken all three points, after all it took an opener from Stevie Murray that was very much against the run of play and then a last minute of injury time leveller from Andy Barrowman that gave the home side the share of the points. Dundee themselves capitalised on two slack pieces of defensive work both involving Murray Henderson.

It was Henderson who was the only change to the starting line up this afternoon as he took the place of the injured Jim Lauchlan, however also missing was Graham Weir who picked up a strain in the pre-match warm up and was replaced on the bench by Andy Aitken making his first appearance of the season - a surprise to everyone including Andy himself.

Dundee started the brighter of the two sides and former Clyde captain Paul McHale tried his luck early on with an effort from the edge of the box that Jamie MacDonald just managed to push past the post, from the corner Jim Thomson made a good defensive header as he ran back to clear off the line. Dundee were the better of the two sides as they outplayed Queens with some slick passing and some high tempo passing. However in thirteen minutes and against the run of play Queens took the lead as Jamie Adams was played in but elected to set up Stevie Murray, the wing man fairly slammed the ball past Ludo Roy in the visitors goal to open the scoring for the home side. Queens stirred from their slumber with the goal and should have increased the lead a minute later as Sean O'Connor broke through on a one on one with Roy, however the 'keeper made a great save to push the ball into the side netting to deny big Sean.

Great build up and superb finish from Murray - from David Gow on the terracing

Murray celebrates with Adams
On the half hour Eric Paton managed to find himself with space on the left side of the park and room to move toward goal, however his effort with his right foot swerved wide of the 'keeper right hand post and a chance was lost. Paton was to feature in the next move too as he was once again well up the park but managed to lose possession to the visitors, the ball was immediately played down the park and Murray Henderson seemed to lose the trajectory of the ball under pressure from Dryon Daal, this allowed the big on loan Dutch striker to collect the ball and place a shot past MacDonald and into the bottom corner for an excellent finish and an equaliser for the visitors.

Big Jim makes the clearance
The goal livened both sides up a bit as chances at both ends came and went, Jamie Adams looked in a good position to shoot but passed to and offside Stephen Dobbie instead, then at the other end Gavin Swankie slammed an effort that Jamie MacDonald just managed to push out at the near post.

The second half was introduced early on with a combination of O'Connor and Dobbie that almost paid off but O'Connor couldn't finish off the move. Disaster was soon to follow for the home side as Murray Henderson found Bob Davidson just too tricky and the Dundee forward finished past MacDonald with Henderson in disarray. Dundee were still having the better of the exchanges and Scott Robertson slammed a shot goalward that a combination of Queens defenders managed to block away.

Ian McCall had seen enough and decided upon wholesale changes, replacing Stephen Dobbie with Andrew Barrowman, Murray Henderson with Andy Aitken and Steve Tosh for John O'Neill. Combined with the change Dundee appeared to sit back and let Queens come at them, the sustained pressure for the last twenty minutes would eventually pay off.

Sean O'Connor was first with a real chance as he headed over a great opportunity with ninety minutes on the clock, then eventually the goal came as Andrew Barrowman found a similar chance, this time from a Stevie Murray cross and headed it via a defender into the net to equalise the scores and sicken the disappointingly small Dundee travelling support.

A great Murray cross and Barrowman breaks his duck - from David Gow on the terracing

Barrowman (No. 15) turns away to celebrate the leveller

Barrowman celebrates and gets a yellow card for it - from David Gow on the terracing
And whilst the time ticked away there was still time for a penalty claim from Queens as Sean O'Connor was nudged over in the box. As it turned out the game finished 2-2, the home fans celebrated and Queens left the field to a standing ovation.

Undoubtedly though the best thing to come out of today's game was the return of Andy Aitken who in the twenty five minutes he played looked as though he'd never been away.

[Back to Queens front page]