Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
AIRDRIE UNITED 0 : 3 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 17th February 2007
Rating: 6.83
Rating: 6.57
Rating: 6.71
Rating: 6.42
Rating: 6.56
Rating: 6.49
Rating: 7.29
Rating: 7.01
Rating: 7.39
2 S3
Rating: 8.54
1 S2
Rating: 8.16
S1 - 56
Rating: 6.25
S2 - 70
Rating: 5.41
S3 - 82
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Ian McCall enjoyed the rare luxury of being able to name an unchanged sixteen for the visit to Airdrie this afternoon. He made only the one change, bringing back Sean O'Connor into the starting line up in place of Andrew Barrowman who dropped to the bench. Airdrie's new signing, arch-nemesis Ian Harty, took his place on the bench.

First shot of the game was in five minutes when Dobbie hit a snap effort from 25 yards which Robertson blocked but fumbled. Unfortunately Sean O'Connor couldn't get to the rebound before the keeper recovered. The breakthrough arrived three minutes later though when Queens were awarded a penalty kick. Neil McGowan hauled down Sean O'Connor in the six yard box as he latched onto Paton's floated pass forward. Stephen Dobbie is the penalty taker these days with O'Neill not in the line up and he made no mistake, planting the ball behind Robertson to the left despite the keeper going the right way.

The penalty award and strike - from David Gow on the terracing
O'Connor failed to trouble Robertson unduly with a header from Paton's free kick before, on 20 minutes, a fine last ditch tackle from Stevie Murray of all players denied Airdrie's McDougall a simple equaliser. Just after the half hour Gary Twigg burst through for Airdrie but McQuilken's challenge was enough to put him off and seconds later Queens had doubled their lead. Tosh hit a fine long ball down the left and O'Connor got behind Lovering to lay the ball back. Up stepped that man Stephen Dobbie again to lash a shot from 25 yards in via a wicked deflection off Neil McGowan.

Dobbs strikes his second - from David Gow on the terracing
Airdrie twice came close to an equaliser on 41 minutes when first McDonald's deflected shot from distance was parried out by MacDonald and then, when the cross came back in, Gary Twigg headed against the base of the post.

Midfield action at New Broomfield
Kenny Black decided a half time change was required and Polish debutant Marcin Lukasewski replaced Paul Lovering as the formation changed to a 3-5-2. Bryan Prunty was pushed further forward and burst through towards goal almost immediately. Jamie MacDonald though stood up and forced him wide long enough to avert the danger. Up the other end Jamie Adams went in hard for a loose ball with keeper Stephen Robertson and it was the goalie who came off worst, needing treatment before he could continue. On 51 minutes Sean O'Connor forced Airdrie into a hurried clearance from the back and as Tosh tried to latch onto the loose ball Neil McGowan threw himself into a reckless lunge. Mike McCurry was perfectly placed to make the call and flashed a straight red at the defender who had completed a nightmare day personally. Seconds later Marc Smyth also picked up a yellow card for dissent. Tosh was unable to go on and Willie Gibson replaced him on 55 minutes as the red mist descended on the Airdrie bench.

'Tosher' receives some attention
Airdrie were rocking now and Murray escaped down the right to great effect, turning along the by-line before forcing a fine save out of Robertson. Then McQuilken got into position down the left and crossed for O'Connor to head home only for the linesman (correctly) to rule the ball had crossed the by-line before McQuilken played it in. In the midst of this though Graeme Holmes burst forward for Airdrie to test MacDonald with a low shot from distance. On 65 minutes the match was finished as a contest when Scally caught Airdrie in possession deep in their own half and released Willie Gibson down the right side. He absolutely skinned his opponent and crossed perfectly for Sean O'Connor to head into the bottom left corner.

Sean heads in the third - from David Gow on the terracing (As good as MoTD this one!)
Four minutes later and Murray set up Adams for a pot at goal from 20 yards that he blasted over. Next Dobbie beat two defenders before leathering goalward and forcing another save from Robertson. McCall obviously felt the game was over and replaced O'Connor with Andrew Barrowman. At the same time Airdrie replaced McDonald with Ian Harty. Queens continued to be absolutely rampant in a display reminiscent of the recent Thistle game. Murray crossed perfectly for Dobbie to touch and hit only for Robertson to pull off a magnificent save. Minutes later Dobbie and Barrowman broke the offside trap together and could have walked the ball into the net but Dobbie, not surprisingly, fancied the hat-trick and shot himself, allowing Robertson to save.

On a rare foray forward Airdrie earned a free kick 25 yards out that Smyth struck just over the bar. With 10 minutes remaining Gary Twigg was replaced by Stuart Taylor. The chances kept coming and Andrew Barrowman was next with a shot across the face of the Airdrie goal. With 3 minutes to go Willie Gibson picked up a booking for a late challenge and Graham Weir replaced Stephen Dobbie. There were no further chances though and Queens racked up a comprehensive three points.

Ewan Lithgow
Photo's - David Gow

[Back to Queens front page]