Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
Rating: 6.30
Rating: 6.45
Rating: 6.89
Rating: 6.77
Rating: 6.48
Rating: 5.97
Rating: 6.17
Rating: 6.68
Rating: 7.25
Rating: 5.88
Rating: 6.67
S1 - 71
Rating: 5.10
S2 - 75
Rating: 4.67
S3 - 82
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
The starting eleven today saw three changes to that which had secured a draw at Dingwall a couple of weeks ago, all enforced. Steve Bowey and Gary Wood were both missing due to suspensions following their red cards in that game and Brian Reid due to the injury picked up in the first half of the Dingwall draw. In their place came Stuart Hill partnering Jim Thomson in the heart of the defence, Scott Robertson in the middle of the park and Brian McLaughlin up front.

It was a 'must win' game as rarely, if ever, had a Queens side completed a fixture against every other side in the league without recording a win against one of them. The players attitude to the game also showed that they had got the message as they set about their task with a determination that had been missing earlier in the season.

Brian McLaughlin shrugs off the attention of Neil McGowan
Willie Gibson could and should have opened the scoring on ten minutes as he made a superb run down the left that saw him beat every defender in his way before facing the keeper one to one - his effort was good but not good enough as Robertson saved his side from an early goal and pushed the ball out from a corner.

It was all Queens for the opening half hour as both right and left flanks produced some good football without ever producing the killer touch as our two converted midfielders toiled as strikers.

JT ensures that Twigg can only hit the post with this effort
Airdrie posted notice that whilst they were not one of the better teams to have visited Palmerston in the opening quarter they were still capable of providing the home fans with a fright as a Prunty cross ball beat Scott and reached the back post area where both Jim Thomson and Gary Twigg met, Thomson doing enough to force the Airdrie forward into only hitting the post with his effort on goal.

For the next ten minutes Airdrie were more into the game but without providing any real threat as the combination of McLaren and Prunty failed to deliver.

McLaughlin can't believe it as his shot is beaten off the line
Queens finished the half with the upper hand as a Willie Gibson cross cum shot was touched over for a corner that when delivered by the same man found Brian McLaughlin turning and shooting only to see his effort pushed off the line to deny Queens a deserved half time lead.

The second half was not as convincing from Queens as the first with Airdrie having much more of the game than they had enjoyed in the first and Queens struggling without a recognised striker on the park. Things were to change though as with just fifteen minutes of the half gone Brian McLaughlin, the most troublesome of the two front men today, broke free of his marker Alan McManus on the far touchline, the defeated defender hauled the diminutive frontman back and referee Ian Brines had no option but to send off the Airdrie player as McLaughlin would have been clean through on goal.

A few minutes later and Iain Scott made his first change by introducing a striker in the form of David McNiven who immediately provided an outlet for the packed midfield. Three minutes later and Derek Lyle came on for Stephen Payne but instead of going upfront just swapped places with Payne leaving John O'Neill to partner David McNiven.

A superb effort from a Willie Gibson corner that was played across the face of the box for Eric Paton to strike was met with a fantastic save from Robertson in the Airdrie goal, it had goal written all over it but the keeper did well in a crowded box to see the thunderbolt from Paton.

With less than ten minutes of the match to go Willie Gibson, who had yet again been sailing close to the 'red card wind' was taken off and trialist Dimitri Pronovych introduced and given a berth on the left side of midfield. It was the Ukranian's perfectly weighted pass that allowed Paul Burns the opportunity to stride into the box in the very last minute of play and stroke the ball into the bottom corner of the net to give Queens the points and break those Airdrie hearts.

The winner, Robertson can only watch at Paul Burns slots home the decider

From David Gow on the terraces.
This was a must win game that we won, everyone in Palmerston heaved a huge sigh of relief when the final whistle blew as everyone knew that we were the better side by a long way and well before the sending off. A win was the right result and hopefully the team can now move up the league to where they should be. A massive positive from the game must also be that the youth system at Palmerston is now paying dividends with Robertson, Burns, Hill and Gibson all coming through the youth set up and playing their part to the full.

[Back to Queens front page]