Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
COWDENBEATH 1 : 1 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 15th September 2001
Rating: 6.06
Rating: 5.44
Rating: 6.06
Rating: 5.56
Rating: 6.31
Rating: 5.88
Rating: 6.62
Rating: 6.06
Rating: 6.50
Rating: 4.38
Rating: 6.62
S1 76m
Rating: 5.62
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the Lmom League Table.

Member No:
John Connolly was forced to make two changes from the side which played the last three games. Son, Stuart, got a start up front in place of the suspended Peter Weatherson and Jon Sunderland replaced Paddy Atkinson, who had picked up a knock in training on Thursday. Gordon Connelly moved to a more central midfield role to accommodate Sunderland.

A minutes silence was observed in memory of those that lost their lives at the hands of terrorists this week.

After an immaculately observed minute's silence in memory of the victims of Tuesday's terrorist attacks on the USA, it was the Fife side who made the early running. Inside the first five minutes they had one back post header narrowly over the bar and another netbound strike bravely blocked by Alan Grey. In the 11th minute, Graeme Brown struck a wind assisted shot from about thirty yards out over Colin Scott but against the underside of the crossbar and out. Queens' first chance came on the quarter hour mark when Jon Sunderland and Gordon Connelly combined to send Craig Feroz in on goal but Tuesday's hat-trick hero shot across the face.

On 34 minutes, Jim Thomson had to out-jump Keith Wright at the back post to prevent the veteran striker from nodding into the empty net. However, straight up the other end and, probably against the run of play, it was Queens who took the lead. Craig Feroz managed to get clear on the left and went down under a fairly innocuous challenge in the box. Referee Gilmour had no doubts about it though and awarded the penalty kick. However, he somehow managed to miss Feroz taking a punch from the centre half for his troubles! It goes without saying these days that the Scottish League's current top scorer, John O'Neill, converted the kick.

The lead was short lived though and, within five minutes, the "Blue Brazil" had scrambled an equaliser. A right sided corner was headed out to the edge of the penalty area where it was met with a looping header by Toby King. With the defence clearing out, both Keith Wright and Graeme Brown found themselves clear in front of goal to touch home. However, whilst both completely failed to get anything on the ball, they did succeed in distracting Colin Scott sufficiently to allow the original header to drift into the net via the left post.

The half finished with the home side very much in the ascendancy as Scott made another excellent save and an effort was ruled out for offside before the whistle.

The second period started completely differently as Queens took advantage of the strong wind to put pressure on the home goal. First, on 52 minutes, a John O'Neill snap shot just missed the left post and then, five minutes later, the same player was denied from twenty-five yards when his shot was tipped onto the bar and over by Craig Gordon in the home goal. With twenty minutes remaining, Craig Feroz turned his marker and made for the bye-line before pulling the ball across the six yard box only for O'Neill to miss his connection. Five minutes after that young Graeme Armstrong was introduced in place of Stuart Connolly.

A Doonhamers attack is broken up.

On 80 minutes, a Feroz shot following a Scott goal-kick was well parried out by Gordon. However, the home side then mounted a period of pressure in search of the points. First, Graeme Brown struck a curling shot from the left edge of the penalty box only for Scott to produce a tremendous full length diving save. Within a minute, Hamish French narrowly missed the left post from a free header around eight yards out. In the 86th minute, Gordon Connelly bravely blocked another effort and Queens broke forward. The break ended with O'Neill's cross clipping the top of the crossbar and going over the top.

With two minutes left, Cowden' centre back, White, picked up the game's only booking for a scything challenge from behind on Armstrong. In the final minute, both sides had chances to take the points home. First Colin Scott just managed to scramble Winter's volley past his post and then, at the other end, Feroz again burst to the bye-line before crossing. John O'Neill met the ball with a diving header but somehow a defender managed to deflect it over the bar.

This corner was cleared.

To be honest Queens were a little off form today and clearly missed Weatherson. We still had chances to win the game, particularly from the ever dangerous O'Neill, but probably didn't deserve to do so. Indeed, the home side may feel they should have won so it wasn't a bad point to get. That's four draws out of four away from home in the League now and it's away to Berwick next week.

Ewan Lithgow

Thanks to David Gow for the photographs

[Back to Queens front page]