Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 1 : 0 STRANRAER 15th August 2006
Rating: 6.93
J Thomson
Rating: 6.23
Rating: 6.41
Rating: 6.61
Rating: 6.02
Rating: 8.20
S3 1
Rating: 6.82
Rating: 6.19
Rating: 6.48
Rating: 7.18
A Thomson
Rating: 6.11
S1 - 66
Rating: 5.05
S2 - 66
Rating: 4.95
S3 - 76
Rating: 4.98
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Queens managed to make it difficult for themselves tonight as they failed to capitalise on a number of clear cut chances and ended up on the back foot as Stranraer attempted to take the tie to extra time, however a penalty from the Palmerston Penalty King John O'Neill was just enough to see us through and into the hat for the second round draw on Thursday.

There were three changes to the side from Saturday past with Colin Scott getting the No. 1 jersey ahead of Barry John Corr, John Henry given a midfield berth next to John O'Neill with Neil Scally moved wide right and the new combination upfront for the evening saw Andy Thomson start alongside Graham Weir with big Sean O'Connor rested for the night. Willie Gibson made it onto the subs-bench as, surprisingly, did Derek Lyle.

Queens started the match brightly and early on a great run into the box by Paul Burns was only just too high for the incoming John O'Neill to connect with. Shortly after a throw in on the left found its way back to Eric Paton who this time whipped in a cross that Andy Thomson managed to flick goalwards, it looked to be going in as Morrison stood rooted to his goal line but the contact from Thomson was just a fraction too light and the ball escaped the far post.

There's no way past Paul Burns for former Queens loan player Paul McMullan
Stranraer were looking lively too and with a decent in numbers and vociferous support backing them their play was not short on effort, although Colin Scott didn't have too much to do in the first half.

The second half started at a higher tempo and with the instructions of manager McCall no doubt still fresh in their ears the Dumfries forward line adopted a more direct approach. First to show the intent was Graham Weir with a superb break from midfield and run in on goal but his thunderous effort was only just diverted over the bar by Morrison.

Weir lets one go but Morrison was up to it
Ten minutes into the half and with Queens well in command Paul Burns produced a good run and sent in a great ball for Graham Weir to again take into the box, this time though the striker had a defender in his way and as both came together with a crash the referee awarded a penalty kick to Queens, it did seem a little soft but no one in the home part of the ground was complaining. Up stepped John O'Neill and without any fuss at all the ever reliable spot kick expert blasted the ball into the back of the net.

O'Neil smashes the penalty home for the winner - from Rob Campbell on the terraces.
Ian McCall made a couple of changes soon after the goal with John Henry being replaced by Willie Gibson and Andy Thomson by Michael Mullen.

Stranraer had an opportunity to equalise the tie through Alex Burns as Jim Lauchlan and Murray Henderson managed to confuse each other sufficiently to lose possession, however they also managed to recompose themselves quickly and prevented the former Brechin City man from getting a clear shot in. The final change for Queens was made with Scott Mackenzie replacing John O'Neill with fifteen minutes of the match to go.

The ball just wouldn't sit for Mullen as he faced up to Morrison
Queens were making a number of chances but were also squandering them, Paul Burns broke through the defence but fired at goal early and meekly rather than look up to see Graham Weir in acres of space. Michael Mullen was presented with the ball on his own on the six yard box but couldn't get a shot off as he struggled to control the bounce of the ball and Paul Burns had a header on target but without any venom in it it was an easy collect for the 'keeper.

All this served to encourage the Stair Park men into a 'last stand' and they almost pulled off an unlikely draw as Alex Burns had Colin Scott at full stretch with one effort, substitute David Hamilton had a clear header on goal but could only pick out Colin Scott's arms and a number of other chances were given up at the far goals.

The Stranraer fans viewing angle made them think that this effort was close from Moore
In summary Queens made heavy weather of the match by not taking all of the chances that they had. The margin of victory should have been more than two, however the result was positive and it is good to see us still in both of the cup competitions.

[Back to Queens front page]