Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
Rating: 5.54
Rating: 6.59
J Thomson
Rating: 5.69
Rating: 6.12
Rating: 6.34
Rating: 5.65
Rating: 6.22
Rating: 5.38
Rating: 6.56
Rating: 6.29
Rating: 6.83
S1 - 26
Rating: 5.75
S2 - 63
Rating: 5.87
S3 - 67
Rating: 6.26
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
When you are down you are down - there was no luck on the pitch today for Queens, a side who outplayed their opponents for much of the match, struck the woodwork and had four point blank efforts miss the target or hit the woodwork, yet the side who had really only two half chances of note managed to smuggle the full three points all the way back up the road to Maryhill. We were robbed!!

To the game itself and Ian McCall settled for a 4-4-2 formation with Eric Paton restored to right back, Dessie McCaffrey left back and Jim Thomson partnering the phlegmatic Scott Mackenzie in the middle of the defence. In midfield Paul Burns took up the right hand side, with Willie Gibson the left and John O'Neill and Neil Scally in the middle. Up front saw the return of the masked man Graham Weir partnering Andy Barrowman. On the bench were Barry John Corr(with heavily strapped wrists), Sean O'Connor, Barry Callaghan, John Henry and Warren Moon.

Queens controlled much of the play in the first half, with an early cross from Eric Paton just too high for Andy Barrowman to connect with. In twenty-six minutes Colin Scott appeared to come for a cross and tie up, he was soon replaced by Barry John Corr in goals as the injury prone ex-Andy Goram understudy again left the field with an injury.

With just about thirty minutes elapsed Queens contrived to miss the first of their gilt edged chances - Andy Barrowman was the culprit as he nodded a Willie Gibson free-kick down but past with only the 'keeper to beat, the technique was good but the finish was disappointing and the Partick goal remained intact.

Glaring miss number one as Barrowman heads down and past
Partick almost received an instant response though as Barry John Corr looked to have 'chucked' the ball into his own net as he failed to properly collect a loose ball as it came to him,, he did however recover well enough to stop the ball before it crossed the line.

With thirty four minutes gone it was a stonewall goalden opportunity for Queens as Paul Burns stood at the back post and nodded another Willie Gibson free-kick over the bar with absolutely no-one to beat - an absolute howler of a miss for the wee man from Cumnock.

Glaring miss number two as Burnsey heads over
Queens clearly rocked by the lack of a lead then looked a bit shaky with the defence almost conceding as the ball ricochet about the area but ended up out for a bye-kick.

The first half finished all square but optimism amongst the Queens fans was high as the side had played the first half very promisingly.

The second saw Partick start the most lively but Barry John Corr was up to anything the Maryhill side were able to throw at him, until seven minutes into the half that is when Roberts curled a superb shot around Corr from the edge of the box to open the scoring.

No chance for Corr as Roberts effort beats the 'keeper and hits the back of the net
Graham Weir then had to watch as Kenny Arthur managed to fling himself at a thunderbolt of a free kick to keep his goal intact. Queens were still pressing for an equaliser and the man that you'd bet your house on to score was presented with our third free header of the game minutes later. John O'Neill met a Barrowman cross but he too headed over the bar to help Arthur keep a clean sheet.

Ian McCall, his substitutions limited by the unexpected loss of Scott earlier, then swapped out Weir for O'Connor and O'Neill for Callaghan. The changes certainly livened up the right hand side of the park as the always impressive Barry Callaghan provided a much more direct attacking force than anything before him. The Dundee United loan star had a shot well saved by Arthur within minutes of his appearance.

No lack of effort as it's everyone forward for Queens
To be fair to Partick they did pose a threat but up until their goals Barry John Corr dealt comfortably with the threat, in the seventieth minute this was more than adequately demonstrated by our 'keeper standing up and brilliantly pushing away an Adam Strachan effort as the winger bore down on the 'keeper.

With only ten minutes to go Sean O'Connor must have thought that he had equalised for Queens as his looping header crashed off the junction of the post and cross bar from a Barry Callaghan free kick on the left side of the park. To add insult to injury Partick then broke forward and wrapped up the game as Simon Donnelly stabbed his effort past Corr to finish off a move that saw the Queens defence again in general disarray.

That was basically that as the home fans streamed out of the ground and the Thistle fans celebrated what must have been an unexpected victory.

Queens can take great heart from the performance today as they were clearly the better side and performed much better than their table topping visitors, surely the recovery starts here.

[Back to Queens front page]