For previous reports go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 3-0 CLYDE14th March 2000
Rating: 6.68
Rating: 8.11
Rating: 6.95
Rating: 6.68
Rating: 8.53
Rating: 7.32
Rating: 5.84
Rating: 6.58
Rating: 7.21
Rating: 7.37
Rating: 5.79
77 mins
Rating: 5.32
56 mins
Rating: 5.47
Rating: -
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the MoM League Table.

Member No:
This is why following the Doonhamers is so much fun, on Saturday they turn in a lacklustre performance against the second bottom of the league and are beaten 2-0, tonight they take on a team eleven points clear at the top of the league and run out convincing winners by three goals to nil. And convincing it was, so much so in fact that Queens keeper David Mathieson probably had only one save to make all match and that was a tremendous stop from a point blank effort just before the break.

The team lined up as it had done for the Alloa match only nine days earlier, Sandy Hodge returned to left back and Charlie Adams started up front with Stevie Mallan wide left supplying the front two.

The local support were obviously not hopeful as a mere 830 turned out, a fair proportion of that number being travelling support with Clyde. Those that turned up were probably there more in hope than in expectation. By 7:37pm however all that had changed, two early goals had stunned the Bully Wee, a minute later they lost right back Hay and they looked decidedly shaken.

Queens first goal in just three minutes was a tremendous solo effort by the immense Sandy Hodge, the left back picked up the ball out on the wing and set off with only one purpose, as Clyde defenders were left trailing in his wake he let fly from the edge of the box and gave keeper Wylie no chance. Young Sandy time and time again surged down his wing but always covered back making crucial tackles and seeming to win them all. His speed and skill are deceptive, he may look more of a rugby player but he has proven on a number of occasions and again tonight that he is indeed an extremely talented footballer.

Another four minutes passed and Queens had made it two, John Dickson, who also had a tremendous game this evening down the right hand side worked well to get an excellent cross over where Warren Hawke rose above the towering Clyde defence and nodded the ball in off the underside of the bar.

Clyde fought back though and had a chance when a forward was clean through but managed to slow up enough as he approached Mathieson that Paul Stewart managed to catch him up and knock the ball away for a corner. Queens too continued to make chances and Paul Stewart on a foray forward saw an effort well saved by Wylie. Stewart receiving the Sponsors Man of the Match award and putting in an excellent performance at right back where no one got by him.

The second half started much more slowly than the first, Queens took an extra two minutes to find the net again, this time Stevie Mallan took advantage of another Sandy Hodge surge into the box and cut across goal, keeper Wylie fumbled it out to the waiting Marv who took great delight in notching another goal against his old club.
[Marv nets number three] Stevie Mallan celebrates the third goal.
Clyde were never really in it after that, they had some good midfield possession but never made it much further. Queens infact should have made it 4-0 when Warren Hawke was flattened by a Clyde defender in the box. Denis Boyle decided to take the spot kick but was way too casual as he attempted to place it in the keepers left hand corner only to see it competently dealt with by the diving keeper.
[Boyle misses the penalty] Wylie saves from Boyle.
Queens were really favourites to add to the scoring as they pressed right until the final whistle, the loss to Clyde of Mitchell fifteen minutes from the end for a second bookable offence did not help their cause. News of Stenhousemuir's defeat added to the satisfaction of victory and narrowed down the gap to three points again.
[Hodge fires one over]
Sandy blasts one over at the end

[Back to Queens front page]