Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 0 : 1 HAMILTON 13th October 2001
Rating: 5.74
Rating: 5.78
Rating: 6.30
Rating: 4.19
Rating: 5.41
Rating: 6.15
Rating: 5.11
Rating: 4.85
Rating: 5.30
Rating: 5.26
Rating: 5.42
S1 61m
Rating: 4.24
S2 83m
S3 85m
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the Lmom League Table.

Member No:
This was a poor game in which neither side managed to produce any quality football of note, Queens seemed to have too many players having off-days as gone was the free flowing passing game and in it's place a stuffy midfield/defence dominated affair with little to savour for the crowd which had grown again by another couple of hundred this week.

Hopefully it was just a hiccup and normal service will be resumed next week but John Connolly and his coaches will have lots to think about this week as they attempt to determine what went wrong today.

The side that started showed only one change to that which had so comprehensively beaten league leaders Alloa a fortnight ago with Andy Aitken relegated to the bench and Jim Thomson taking on the role of left sided defender. Also on the bench today were Paddy Atkinson returning from injury and new signing Paul Hollier.

The game itself started quietly with Queens pressing mainly down the right through Gray and Connelly but not being able to find a way through, the opening twenty minutes were very scrappy.

On twenty minutes a long Colin Scott clearance was won by Craig Feroz, he in turn played in John O'Neill but the midfielder seemed to be taken down as he attempted to strike towards goal, the referee, who attracted a lot of criticism from the home fans today, was having none of it and awarded a corner from which an Accies head almost opened the scoring for the Doonhamers.

Queens then proceeded to sit deeply and allow Accies to dictate play in the centre of the park, Colin Scott had to be well positioned on a couple of occasions as long range efforts flew in at him as his defenders and midfield failed to close their opponents down.

The half ended on a sour note for Queens as Craig Feroz received a yellow card for his part in a bye-line incident with an Accies defender.

Half-Time 0-0

Hopes were high that the second half would see a more purposeful display by the Doonhamers, however these were soon dashed as the midfield immediately sat back and allowed Hamilton to start where they had finished the first half, dictating play in the centre.

Seven minutes into the half and Queens have one of only two accurate attempts on goal in the game as Jim Thomson gets a header from the edge of the box on target but without enough power or direction to trouble former Annan Athletic 'keeper Graham Potter in the Accies goal.

Almost straight away Accies scored the match-winning goal as Jim Thomson loses the ball just outside the area whilst falling over and Joe McAlpine fails to react when the ball is played wide allowing Accies forward Moore plenty of room to strike the ball between Scott and his near post for what would turn out to be the winner.

Shortly afterwards Accies had a chance to increase their lead as Jim Thomson again let a ball through and this time the headed effort was well saved by Scott.

Queens responded slightly but the efforts were never likely to cause Potter any trouble and as frustration set in Peter Weatherson found himself being booked meaning that a three game ban now looms for the front man.

All in all a poor days work put in by almost the entire eleven men.

[Back to Queens front page]