Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 1 : 0 MORTON 13th August 2002
Rating: 6.62
Rating: 6.50
Rating: 6.88
Rating: 7.02
Rating: 6.27
Rating: 5.42
Rating: 6.00
Rating: 6.73
Rating: 6.49
Rating: 6.75
- 1
Rating: 8.55
S1 - 66
Rating: 6.48
S2 - 66
Rating: 5.88
S3 - 74
Rating: 5.54
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Member No. or name:
At the end the result didn't matter, the most important aspect of this match was the injury to Sean O'Connor in the last minute of added time when he was challenged heavily in the corner by Colin Reilly whilst playing out the final seconds of the game, it appears that Sean has a serious injury and after some brief on field attention from the club doctors he was taken to Dumfries and Galloway Infirmary for further checks, until these are complete we will not know the extent of the injury.

For the record the game was a competitive affair throughout with Queens having the bulk of the pressure during the first forty five minutes and creating numerous chances without converting, even though Peter Weatherson did score what looked like a perfectly good goal only to have it chalked off for having a high foot(see photo), Morton for their part had one solitary effort on goal in that first half in just five minutes when Alex Williams connected first time with a ball floated over the defence and sent sailing over Colin Scott only to see it crash off the bar.

Nellie's effort finished in the back of the net but was disallowed

Queens though were displaying a tendency to press the self destruct button as a number of pass-backs almost put Colin Scott in trouble, however the 'keeper coped with them all well and cleared the unnecessary danger. Shortly before half-time we picked up our first card of the season as Jon Crawford was penalised for a tackle and was shown a yellow.


The second half saw Morton gain the upper hand with a more robust and direct style that pulled Queens out of position and for a ten minute spell at the start of the half they did look quite dangerous with Colin Scott's goal actually looking as though it may come under threat.

It took around ten minutes of the half for Queens to regain some composure as Jon O'Neill had the ball just taken off his toe as he strode through on goal, Morton though were in determined mood and Colin Scott was forced into making at least a couple of good stops to keep the scoreline blank.

John Connolly then decided to alter things around a bit with both wide men being replaced, Alan Gray by Eric Paton and Joe McAlpine by Brian McLaughlin, only seven minutes after his introduction and McLaughlin was tackled from behind by Dean Keenan, referee Martindale was immediately on hand and dished out a red card to Keenan, to the surprise of most of the fans close to the incident.

Queens then made another swap as Peter Weatherson was replaced by Derek Lyle to freshen things up front and further stretch the ten men.

Eric Paton was however next to threaten as he let fly with a spectacular effort from all off thirty yards that screamed just past the post, a similar effort moments later was a good bit wider. A goal was not long in coming though as Queens made their numerical superiority count and it was former Morton loan favourite Sean O'Connor that grabbed it. The ball was returned from midfield by Brian McColligan from where it was fed forward and into the box, in what was a scrappy few moments, big Sean managed to get decent contact on the ball and send it low past Coyle in the Morton goal.

Big Sean celebrates his goal

A minute or two later and Derek Lyle created an opening for himself as he turned with his back to goal and sent in an effort that produced a tremendous diving save from Coyle, and then Jon O'Neill almost scored with a curling dipping drive that landed on the roof of the net.

That was the end of the action bar the incident with Sean O'Connor and Colin Reilly, a player who would actually be very well known to Sean as they were both team mates at Dundee United last season. Finally Alex Williams was red carded for an offence spotted by the stand side linesman whilst Sean O'Connor was receiving treatment. A sad end to what had been a competitive match and we all wish Sean a speedy recovery from his injury and hope that it is not too serious.

[Back to Queens front page]