Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 1 : 0 CLYDEBANK 12th January 2002
Rating: 6.83
Rating: 6.35
Rating: 6.98
Rating: 8.06
Rating: 6.41
Rating: 7.02
Rating: 7.10
Rating: 6.12
Rating: 6.43
Rating: 6.51
Rating: 7.24
S1 - 67
Rating: 6.84
S2 - 79
Rating: 5.88
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the Lmom League Table.

Member No:
This was a thoroughly deserved victory today from a Queens side playing with a purpose and determination that resulted in them commanding the game for long spells. You would have been forgiven for thinking that the Doonhamers were the full-time side as they challenged for every ball for the full ninety minutes and played in a determined yet fair manner throughout.

The Queens line-up showed one major shock as Peter Weatherson was relegated to the bench in favour of a George O'Boyle, John O'Neill front-line. The four who made up the defensive line in the 4-4-2 formation were Gray, Thomson, Aitken and Atkinson, Derek Allan losing his place this week, whilst the midfield saw Connelly, Donald, Connell and McAlpine playing alongside one another. The bench being occupied by Weatherson, Allan, Moore, Burns and young 'keeper Robertson.

The game began at a lively pace that was to continue for much of the first half, Queens enjoyed the best of the exchanges as they pressed their full-time opponents at every turn. The clearest chance of the first half, however fell to the Bankies in the tenth minute as their striker McPeak found himself with a free header, fortunately his effort came off Jim Tomson and the ball was cleared. Shortly after John O'Neill was involved in a tackle that eventually meant his early retirement from the match as Billy McKinlay took Queens top scorer for a short flight which resulted in the Bankie being booked and O'Neill needed lengthy attention, it was to be the first of five yellow cards shown to the Bankies for over enthusiastic challenges.

Queens were certainly the more purposeful of the sides and were having some success from corners as Jim Thomson was able to rise almost unchallenged on a couple of occasions but could not find the target with his efforts, (See photo's). Joe McAlpine was also having a much more productive day as he looked enthusiastic throughout in the acres of space he was afforded down the left flank by the Bankies rear guard.

Colin Scott had to be smart to get down to a deflected Eric Paton shot as the highly rated forward managed to get a shot in beneath the legs of Jim Thomson from the edge of the box and with a slight deflection and seeing the ball late Scott yet again showed his worth.


The second half did not see any change to the Queens line-up and the pattern of play did not alter, the Doonhamers still having the bulk of the possession and still controlling the match. A switch of wings for McAlpine and Connolly almost bore fruit in the tenth minute of the half as Connolly, putting in another strong performance, broke with the ball from inside his own half, he finally released the ball to McAlpine just outside the box and with only the 'keeper to beat Joe elected to attempt to place the ball with his 'best' left foot and could only send it trundling into the arms of the thankful Henry Smith.

Peter Weatherson was brought off the bench in the sixty seventh minute to replace the injured John O'Neill and with his first touch headed the ball wide from a free kick on the right. In the seventy ninth minute Allan Moore was also brought on, the player exiting this time being Graham Connell, this was to be a key change.

With time running out and the game looking to be headed for a 0-0 draw Queens won a corner on the right, the first effort was cleared back out to the right wing to the waiting Moore, he turned past one man and sent over a perfect cross that was met by the rising Peter Weatherson in the middle of the box for the 'super-sub' to head the ball past the helpless Henry Smith in the Terregles Street goals.

With two minutes left all Queens had to do was hold on and so they did although the Bankies had a couple of late efforts nothing really seriously threatened Colin Scott in the home goals. The victory was sweet and necessary and serves, along with results elsewhere, to tighten up this Second division to a point where any team could win it.

Queens look as though they are back on song.


[Back to Queens front page]