Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
DUNDEE 2 : 1 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 11th August 2007
Rating: 7.25
Rating: 7.04
Atkin (t)
Rating: 6.50
Rating: 6.25
Rating: 6.00
Rating: 6.79
Rating: 6.38
Rating: 5.92
Rating: 6.42
Rating: 5.50
Rating: 7.71
S1 - 73
Rating: 5.05
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Queens went into this match in a rain soaked Dundee without their troubles to seek. Shorn of the services of Jim Thomson, Jim Lauchlan, Robert Harris, John O'Neill and Steve Tosh through suspension and Jamie Adams through injury it was a case of patch up the rest and make up a squad from it. That meant Neil McGowan, who pulled up in the first few minutes of the Gretna friendly with an injury, had to sit on the bench. Gordon Chisholm though was at least able to name the exact eleven that drew with St Johnstone last weekend which meant a return to the first eleven for trialist Liam Atkin, unable to play in the cup midweek, as well as McQuilken, Burns and O'Connor who were all rested against East Fife. Dundee were without the services of former Queens striker Derek Lyle through suspension also but named another former Doonhamer, Craig Samson, amongst their substitutes.

Kick-off at Dens
Queens started quite brightly and had caused problems even before Dobbie's clever ball got Gilmour and O'Connor in behind the Dundee back four in 7 minutes. Sadly one or other had gone a fraction early and the assistant referee's flag brought the move to a halt before Gilmour planted a shot over the bar anyway. However, disaster struck in 12 minutes when from a fairly aimless cross Andy Aitken was adjudged to have pushed over Jan Zemlik in the box. It seemed very soft but Steve Conroy had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Bob Davidson was the man charged with taking the kick in Lyle's absence and made no mistake as Jamie MacDonald went the wrong way for a penalty for the third time in two games.

18 minutes and Zemlik's magnificent defence splitting pass opened up the back line again for Scott Robertson to burst through onto. This time though MacDonald was equal to the task and got a hand to the shot which slowed the ball up enough for Paton to complete a clearance. Zemlik headed the resulting corner narrowly wide. Dundee were well on top by now and Zemlik forced a superb tip over by MacDonald from Swankie's cross. Seconds later Zemlik's flick put Robertson clean through again and again MacDonald produced a block to deny the young midfielder.

On a rare foray forwards Queens were awarded a free kick in 27 minutes. Gilmour's initial shot was blocked by the wall but it had broken too soon and Scott Robertson was duly booked for encroachment. From the second effort Gilmour tried again Roy could only watch his shot graze past the left post. Queens had a foothold in the game now and were heading back into it rapidly. The equaliser arrived on 34 minutes when after some sustained pressure Paton swung in a super cross and Sean O'Connor rose ahead of Roy to nod home. Dundee were anxious to hit back and almost did so right away but Davidson's clever turn and shot went wide and Queens were able to see out the rest of the half without too much difficulty.

Sean gets up well
It was Dundee out of the blocks quickest for the second period. Daquin should already have done better after a McQuilken error before his corner was met by Palenik with a header over the bar. Zemlik turned a Dixon cross over a minute later as Queens struggled to stem the tide. O'Connor though did put the ball in the net on 51 minutes only to have been judged offside before Dobbie's pass was released. Two minutes later came an enormous let off when Dixon collected a ball on halfway and rode two tackles before striking a 25 yard shot that MacDonald could only watch as it cannoned off his post and away to safety.

Sean scores but sees it disallowed and then Dobbs chips over the bar - From David Gow on the terracing
Dundee made the first change on 63 minutes when David O'Brien replaced the completely ineffective Freddie Daquin. Five minutes later Queens missed a gilt edged chance when Griffin mis-kicked a pass across his own penalty area and allowed Dobbie clean in on goal. His chip over the advancing Roy though had too much air in it and carried over the bar. Dundee were a relieved team and hit back immediately, Zemlik twice heading goalward with no success before Jamie Mole came on to replace Dobbie. Disaster struck on 73 minutes though as Swankie got away from Paton on the left for the first time all day and swung over a cross just too high for Zemlik but in came Bob Davidson at the back post to fire into the roof of the net, giving MacDonald no chance. Davidson was booked for over-celebrating the goal.

Queens regrouped and rolled their sleeves up again. First a Mole header went a yard wide and then Burns ran in on goal but his attempted chip was so far wide it went out for a throw. It was Dundee who gradually re-asserted their control of the game though and with two minutes to go David O'Brien was inches away from a third goal before McHale replaced Swankie as the home side saw it out to remain top of the table.

A battling performance then from a Queens side shorn of so many options. At least all the suspensions will be clear before next week's trip to Hamilton apart from Jim Lauchlan's whilst the suspended players are all available for the midweek trip to Clyde in the Challenge Cup.

Ewan Lithgow
Photos and video from David Gow

[Back to Queens front page]