Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
Rating: 5.67
Rating: 6.26
Rating: 6.07
Rating: 6.07
Rating: 6.11
Rating: 6.15
Rating: 5.85
Rating: 5.85
Rating: 6.81
Rating: 5.63
Rating: 4.59
S1 29mins
Rating: 4.85
S2 36mins
Rating: 6.07
S3 66mins 1
Rating: 7.52
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the Lmom League Table.

Member No:
The final score shows a Queens defeat yet the Doonhamers dominated this match from start to end, the statistics show Queens having fifteen goal attempts to Forfar's six and Queens having ten corners to a single effort by the Loons. The result is though what matters and Queen's paid dearly for failing to convert their dominance into goals as time and time again moves broke up because of the lack of a telling final ball into the penalty box.

Queens today fielded a strong starting line up although Stuart Davidson failed to pass a late fitness test so his comeback is delayed by another few days, Graham Connell and Derek Allan were in the starting eleven although John O'Neill had to content himself with a place on the bench for the first sixty six minutes.

The match started quietly as both sides got to grips with each other, the first action was an uncharacteristic Jim Thomson pass across the edge of his own penalty box which was intercepted by Barrie Moffat but fortunately Derek Allan was on the spot to help alleviate the threat.

Queens were forcing the play with the right side particularly effective, Alan Gray and Gordon Connolly were producing some good interplay and causing considerable problems down the right flank.

From a right sided attack Queens won a corner which was taken short by Paddy Atkinson to Graham Connell who curled the ball over onto the head of Warren Hawke, the midfielders effort though had too little contact and didn't trouble the goals. - Photograph below.

Warren Hawke's header goes past

It was then the turn of Gray to show his ability with the ball at his feet as he ghosted past a couple of defenders before breaking the defensive lines and putting a ball across but just above the head of Alan Hogg.

At the other end Forfar were being restricted to breakaways and from one of them a 50-50 ball was contested between Colin Scott and Barrie Moffat with Scott coming off the worst and eventually being replaced by Jamie Campbell in the home goal.

On thirty six minutes another substitution was made with Jon Sunderland being introduced for Alan Hogg and taking up a striking role alongside Peter Weatherson.

Queens were pressing heavily now and on forty minutes a queue of players were being teed up for a shot which eventually came to Warren Hawke, his shot though was deflected for a corner.

A headed pass-back by Jim Thomson proved too strong for Jamie Campbell to collect with the result being Forfar's only corner of the match. From it the inevitable happened, a half cleared ball from the six yard box was sent back in and a Barrie Moffat flicked header from inside the six yard box found the back of the net.

The second half was much delayed due to the non appearance of either the Forfar side or the referee and eventually, after the entire Queens side had been on the park for almost four minutes, at two minutes past four the second half got underway.

There were no half time substitutions, however, Gordon Connelly and John Sunderland had swapped positions with Gordon Connelly taking up the striking role alongside Peter Weatherson. The pattern of the game didn't change with Queens still pressing and within four minutes could have equalised as a Derek Allan effort just flew over the bar from close range. -See photograph below.

Allan'a header goes just over the bar

Queens were increasing the pressure and had four corners in the space of a few minutes but just couldn't find a connecting head to send the ball goalward, although Jim Thomson came close.

Paddy Atkinson was producing some good runs down the left and from one neat move found himself clean through on the 'keeper but with support arriving chose to shoot and sent the ball just wide of the 'keepers nearside post.

Jon Crawford too displayed a liking for a shot on goal with a couple of long range efforts the second better than the first but neither troubling the Forfar 'keeper too much.

On sixty six minutes John O'Neill came on for Graham Connell.

However before O'Neill could have any impact the Loons scored a second goal as they broke through the Queens rearguard, their first effort crashed off the post but instead of falling to safety the ball fell to the feet of Paul Tosh who had the goal at his mercy and stroked the ball into the back of the net with 'keeper Campbell scrambling.

Queens turned up the pressure again with John O'Neill pressing the side forward and Forfar went to a deep defensive formation, however the luck was not with the Doonhamers as was demonstrated when a Peter Weatherson shot was deflected with their 'keeper committed, the ball spun up and into his hands.

A goal was sure to come and come it did from the boot of substitute O'Neill as he drilled home a Paddy Atkinson corner form the edge of the six yard box to set up a grandstand finish. See photograph below.

O'Neill hammers home

John O'Neill was conducting a bit of a one man show for the remaining minutes as first he shot just over the bar, then he collected a Peter Weatherson through ball but found the 'keeper right behind his effort and then finally just before the whistle he headed a cross past the post by only a few millimeters.

An equalising goal was not to come, however the performance today showed that the side are gelling well and have the ability down the flanks and in defence, the only worrying point must be the inability to finish off chances.

[Back to Queens front page]