Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
St JOHNSTONE 2 : 1 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 11th March 2008
Rating: 7.00
Rating: 6.45
Rating: 6.74
Rating: 6.21
Rating: 6.37
Rating: 5.12
Rating: 5.65
Rating: 5.16
Rating: 5.65
Rating: 5.79
1 S3
Rating: 7.00
S1 - 54
Rating: 4.80
S2 - 63
Rating: 4.35
S3 - 67
Rating: 4.50
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
With the celebrations of Saturday's dramatic cup win barely died down and thoughts around Dumfries already straying to a Hampden date in April Queens travelled for their furthest remaining away trip with a few selection issues. Already shorn of the services of Jim Thomson and Stevie Tosh due to suspension Gordon Chisholm was further without Paul Burns due to illness and had to re-shuffle accordingly. Back came Craig Reid as partner for Andy Aitken and to no great surprise John O'Neill stepped into midfield for Tosh. More surprising perhaps was the appearance of Scott Robertson in from the cold in relief of Burns for his first appearance since the defeat at Hamilton on January 2nd. Neil MacFarlane captained the side. St Johnstone were also forced into a couple of changes with Liam Craig suspended and Goran Stanic also out. In came Paul Sheerin and Rocco Quinn.

It was a low key opening period in a quiet stadium but St Johnstone should have opened the scoring in eight minutes as Milne sent MacDonald clear on goal but the striker delayed his shot too long and namesake Jamie in the Queens goal made the block. Andy Jackson should really have finished the rebound off but sent it wide from 12 yards. Five minutes later Craig Reid tripped Jackson 25 yards out and, from the resulting free kick, Rocco Quinn forced a diving save out of MacDonald.

It took 22 minutes for Queens to get a shot on goal which arrived when Dobbie collected a loose ball and jinked inside Anderson before forcing a block out of Main from 15 yards out. Five minutes later McCann broke up the right side and almost repeated his goalscoring act of Saturday but Main pulled off a decent save and, more importantly, smothered the loose ball before O'Connor could get to it. Seconds later Robertson sent big Sean away again but the striker's shot from the edge of the area was deflected wide.

On the half hour Craig Reid was the hero blocking a goalbound effort from Jackson by throwing himself at the ball in front of the line after the striker had latched onto Peter MacDonald's cutback. The rest of the half though was by and large eventless and seen out comfortably.

Derek McInnes made a change at the interval with Barry Wilson replacing Steven Anderson. Eight minutes into the half John Stewart replaced the toiling Sean O'Connor. Three minutes later a Paul Sheerin drive from about 30 yards out proved the first point of note of the half though MacDonald was always behind it. The opening goal however appeared out of absolutely nothing on 57 minutes. Stephen Dobbie picked up a loose ball 25 yards out and wide on the left, spotted Alan Main standing on his six yard line and curled the ball perfectly into the top right corner.

Dobbs pulls the trigger - from David Gow on the terracing

It loops over Main and into the net - from David Gow on the terracing

And the maestro salutes the fans - from David Gow on the terracing
On 62 minutes Eric Paton replaced Scott Robertson on the right of midfield and five minutes later Chisholm completed his changes by sending Brian Gilmour on for Stephen Dobbie. Craig Reid collected a yellow card on 69 minutes for a poor aerial challenge on Andy Jackson. Reid needed minor treatment for a head knock but Jackson needed five minutes of care on the pitch before being stretchered from the field. Jody Morris was substituted at the same time, with Weatherston and Moon replacing them. When play restarted St Johnstone were straight on the attack and Reid cleared a McManus shot away from the line. From the resulting corner though Irvine headed the ball against the post and Peter MacDonald hammered the rebound home from six yards.

It was now St Johnstone with their tails up but on a rare foray forward on 80 minutes John Stewart's shot was blocked by McManus before it could reach target. Jamie MacDonald produced a fine save from Barry Wilson's 25 yard drive a minute later though. It was one way traffic and on 87 minutes disaster struck as Peter MacDonald was allowed time in the box to wheel round and shoot home from 15 yards out.

Dobbs scores - from David Gow on the teracing
Queens almost snatched a point in the extensive injury time for the Jackson injury as McCann's header at the back post went across the face of goal and Brian Gilmour knocked it in from a yard out but he had been offside when McCann headed the ball unfortunately. In the end a disappointing defeat that maybe wasn't entirely surprising but after taking a brilliant lead seems like points dropped. Time to start another run going on Saturday?

Disallowed - from David Gow on the teracing
Ewan Lithgow

[Back to Queens front page]