Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 1 : 3 COWDENBEATH 10th November 2001
Rating: 5.94
Rating: 5.12
Rating: 5.16
Rating: 3.55
Rating: 5.34
Rating: 4.81
Rating: 5.62
Rating: 5.78
Rating: 5.44
Rating: 7.06
Rating: 6.19
S1 - 62
Rating: 3.90
S2 - 75
Rating: 3.48
S3 - 85
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the Lmom League Table.

Member No:
Team lines were back to normal, almost, for this game, Alan Gray returned to his right wing back role, Peter Weatherson was back up front and Colin Scott took over in goal. The one new face was that of Martin Glancy, signed earlier in the week, taking the place of the injured loan signing Murray McDowell.

The story of the match is basically that Queens should have had it all wrapped up by half-time as they totally outplayed the visitors, they did not convert their chances and went on to pay heavily with what, on paper looks a comprehensive defeat. It was however defensive errors that lost Queens the match, not so much a better opponent.

The game started with Queens looking purposeful and in the mood to record a significant victory, new signing Martin Glancy was particularly lively, his skilful control of the ball causing numerous problems for the visiting defence, the diminutive front man almost had a dream start to his debut as he collected a loose ball inside the first minute and chipped it over the 'keeper only to see it cleared off the line.

A few minutes later and Gordon Connolly, in a more central role today broke through the 'beath rear guard and played John O'Neill in, the leading scorers effort though was well stopped by on loan Hearts 'keeper Craig Gordon. O'Neill and Glancy were the two creative Doonhamers in the early stages and a neat one-two between the pair allowed O'Neill another shot but again his effort was saved by the impressive Gordon. Queens were pressing hard at this point and within a minute another great chance went abegging as the shot shy forward line were eventually forced into making an attempt on goal with a Joe McAlpine header just shaving the upright.

McAlpine's bright start continued as he then benefitted from another good O'Neill, Glancy combination, this time Joe's shot was just wide although the patrons of the old stand were sure that it was headed into the net. A minute later and Peter Weatherson attempted a shot on goal from thirty yards, it was low and on target but without quite enough power as Gordon managed to get down in time and turn it away for a corner.

Clear cut chances dried up for a while and the game became a scrappy affair centred on the middle of the park, although Queens were still very much in control, indeed Cowden had not had a single effort on goal in the first 37 minutes.

Their first effort came in 38 minutes and resulted in them taking the lead as a free kick conceded by JT wide right was played into the box and flicked on for the suspiciously offside looking Graeme Brown to neatly turn it past the helpless Scott. A real shock to the system for the Doonhamers and their fans, but with half time approaching a talking to in the dressing room would surely put things right.


No changes to the side as they came out for the second half and again the Doonhamers started off the most purposeful of the two sides. Yet it took only ten minutes for Cowden to increase their lead and unfortunately it was big JT that found himself unable to control a lofted ball and gift an opening for Brown to steal in on goal and finish clinically.

The visitors tails were up and they began to play a more attractive style of football as a more and more desperate home side attempted to press forward, the defence were at this stage creaking badly and only the quick reactions of Scott denied Brown his hat-trick. A third was only a minute away though as a corner on the right found it's way through the entire Dumfries defence to the incoming Craig Winter who had time to pick his spot in the net without receiving a challenge.

Queens continued to press and Paddy Atkinson came on for Graham Connell in an unusual central midfield role, Queens pressure resulted in a number of corners and from one Martin Glancy found himself with time in the middle of the six yard box but his effort could not penetrate the wall of defenders in front of him.

Half an hour into the half and Peter Weatherson managed to get on to the end of a fumble by the Cowden 'keeper following a challenge on him by the smallest man of the park, possibly smallest equal with Jimmy Boyle, Martin Glancy. The ball fell on the goal side of the 'keeper and both Weatherson and Glancy went for the tap in with Nellie just winning the race. Possibly the most subdued goal celebrations seen at Palmerston this season followed.

Late on Jon Sunderland came on for Gordon Connolly and Stuart Davidson for Jon Crawford, neither change making much difference. The remaining minutes of the game were played out with Queens continuing to press but also continuing to break down their own moves on the edge of the box.

The final whistle went and a very dejected home side and fans trooped out of Palmerston.

The positive points today were that we saw an extremely talented ball player in Martin Glancy who will undoubtedly cause enormous trouble for opposing defences, his link up with Jon O'Neill, particularly in the first half was very promising and once he and Nellie forge an understanding it may well be a formidable front line.

[Back to Queens front page]