Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
BARROW 1 : 1 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 10th July 2004
S1 - 24
S2 - 38
S3 - 46
S4 - 46
S5 - 46
S6 - 46
S7 - 56 1 S8
S8 - 58
S9 - 75
Queens travelled to Barrow for the second of their pre-season friendlies and emerged with a 1-1 draw. It was a different line up again from that which faced St Cuthbert's on Wednesday night. Colin Scott returned in goal, whilst in front of him was a back four of Paul Hilland, Jim Thomson, Sergei Baltacha and Eric Paton. Brian McLaughlin, Steve Bowey, David Bagan and Chris Scott made up the midfield whilst David McNiven and Garry Wood formed a new front pairing.

Queens first opportunity arrived after 7 minutes when Baltacha's long ball from the back was latched onto by McNiven who beat his opponent and tricked his way into the box before shooting at Liddicott from a tight angle. From the resulting corner McLaughlin's shot was deflected wide for another corner and, from that one, Wood's header from a McLaughlin cross was saved again by Liddicott. On 14 minutes, from Paton's ball, Garry Wood controlled brilliantly before shooting into the side netting. However, in the 19th minute, Colin Scott came to collect a free kick floated into the box and spilled the ball under a challenge. Fortunately the referee awarded a somewhat charitable free kick as the loose ball was knocked into the empty net. A minute later Queens were forced to make a first change of the game when Paul Hilland received a slight knock and was replaced with Tommy English.
McLaughlin, Paton and Baltacha eye up a free kick.
Just before the half hour mark Steve Ridley turned inside Bowey and shot just over the bar from the edge of the box. A few minutes later Bowey dispossessed Phil Roland and fed Wood in for a run at goal. This time Garry's shot beat Liddicott but rebounded from the goalpost and back into the arms of the grateful goalkeeper. A minute or two later though came a much more serious blow for Queens when Brian McLaughlin, who had been causing all sorts of problems down the left,appeared to turn an ankle and was immediately replaced with Willie Gibson. Just before the interval Gavin Knight headed beyond Colin Scott but across the face of goal from a left sided cross and then Ryan Zico-Black's shot was smothered at the post by Scott.
McLaughlin is helped off by KC.
Iain Scott made four changes at the interval, bringing in Craig Samson for Colin Scott, Brian McColligan for Bowey, Stephen Payne for Chris Scott and Emilio Jaconelli for Wood. Ten minutes into the half we almost saw a wonder goal as Eric Paton beat about six opponents on a run inside the penalty area but placed his shot into Liddicott's hands instead of the goal-net. The opening goal though was only delayed by about sixty seconds. Billy McDonald had come on for Bagan just before Paton's effort and, when Jaconelli's shot from the edge of the box struck the post, McDonald was first to react to the loose ball, twisting in mid-air to knock home into the empty net. Unfortunately, he landed awkwardly on his knee and had to be immediately withdrawn which might just make it the shortest ever goalscoring substitute appearance in a Queens shirt! Paul Burns was the replacement.
Gibson has a strike.
Just after the hour mark Craig Samson dived high to his right to tip away a shot from Armstrong, one of the few times all afternoon that the big Englishman wasn't offside! The alert Payne mopped up the rebound. On 66 minutes though Jaconelli's missed a gilt-edged chance to kill off the home side. A lax defensive header left him with a free shot at goal from about 8 yards out but he hit wide of the target. A minute later, from Paton's pass, Emilio beat the keeper with a drive but again struck the post. This time there were no takers for the rebound. With quarter of an hour remaining young Scott Robertson became the final substitute used in relief of McNiven, with Gibson moving up front and Paul Burns going to the left to accommodate him.
Robertson turns but shoots wide.
On 76 minutes a long leg snaked out by Jim Thomson just about prevented Barrow equalising when he diverted the ball just past his own post for a corner kick. Up the other end with ten minutes remaining Stephen Payne headed English's cross against the bar, the fourth time we'd hit woodwork on the afternoon. However, from the resulting corner Barrow broke upfield and struck an equaliser. Michael Kewley outpaced Paul Burns onto a big punt forward and buried the ball behind Samson from the edge of the penalty area. That was the end of the scoring and pretty much the end of the chances also.

Next up is Threave Rovers on Wednesday night for what should be a much less difficult task.

Ewan Lithgow

[Back to Queens front page]