Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 1 : 2 CLYDE 10th March 2004
Rating: 5.94
Rating: 6.02
Rating: 5.22
Rating: 6.35
Rating: 6.19
Rating: 7.19
Rating: 7.10
Rating: 7.57
Rating: 5.25
Rating: 5.51
Rating: 5.23
S1 - 56 1
Rating: 5.94
S2 - 60
Rating: 5.94
S3 - 67
Rating: 5.50
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
As promised John Connolly made some changes to the line-up tonight, most notable on the team sheet being the inclusion of all of our recognised central defenders, Jim Thomson, Brian Reid, Andy Aitken and Derek Allan. Add to that, relief central defender Gary Wood also starting and regular right and left backs Eric Paton and Joe McAlpine playing then a defensive performance could have been anticipated.

The performance though was anything but as both sides set out to produce an entertaining game straight from the off. Queens almost opened the scoring inside the first two minutes as a Steve Bowey drive through the centre of the park ended with an angled ball from him that Gary Wood dived low to get his head onto, Halliwell did well to get down smartly to block the effort.

It was a high tempo start to the game with Queens pressing and the Clyde defence happy to clear anywhere to keep their goal intact. Against the run of play the visitors snatched the lead in the eighth minute as Brian Reid and Derek Allan managed to get in each others way as they both rose for a cross ball, the result was an unmarked Kevin Fotheringham on the edge of the box being afforded the time to pick his spot and loop a clever effort over an unsighted Samson and into the far corner of the net.
Reid clears decisively.
The game continued to flow and in twenty minutes Ian Harty rounded Derek Allan and Jim Thomson before unleashing a vicious shot that Samson did well to keep hold off. A few minutes later and a neat passing move between Paul Burns, Derek Allan and Eric Paton ended when Paton prodded the ball over the bar when slightly off balance. A minute later and Fotheringham at the other end tried his luck with a chip from thirty yards, this one was always going over but did manage to land on the top of the net.

Before half-time Queens began to create some real chances and Joe McAlpine had a couple of dipping drives from the edge of the box that had the 'keeper beaten but also cleared the post/bar in quick succession. Then just on the forty-four minute mark Queens were awarded a free-kick for a tackle by Smith on Burns and Eric Paton almost made them pay as his effort crashed off the bar with Halliwell well beaten.
Haliwell spectates as Paton's free-kick heads for the bar.
The second half started with a bang, but at the wrong end. Within the first minute Jim Thomson lost possession just inside his own half to Andy Smith, Smith played in Harty who drove the ball across Samson and into the far corner of the net.

At some point Gary Wood picked up a knee injury and was clearly struggling, however Queens were pressing and he was keen to remain in the action whilst he was in the midst of it. Eventually Queens won a corner and the ball was played over the top then promptly returned by Jaconelli onto the toe of Gary Wood no more than four or five yards out and with the goal at his mercy. It is only fair to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that his injured knee played a part in the ball ending up ten feet over the bar! His next action was to limp off the field to be replaced by Alex Burke.

Shortly after a second substitution was made as Queens went to a three-four-three formation with Jim Thomson being taken off, Derek Allan falling into the central defensive and Eric Paton dropping back a little to allow substitute Stephen Payne to take up a more orthodox wingers role.

For a good few minutes though it looked as though Clyde would increase their lead as the re-organised home side settled. One final change was made with a straight swap, Joe McAlpine for Paul McMullan and this seemed to be the key as immediately Queens were a more balanced threat with both wings now looking to provide opportunities for the front-men.

Shots were coming in at an increased rate from the home side and Paul Burns was very unlucky to see his effort strike the post for the second week in a row. A goal was not long in coming though as the ball was bouncing around in the Clyde area it eventually came into contact with the arm of a defender. The resulting penalty was confidently converted by Alex Burke and Queens had fresh hope of getting something from the match.

Thirty minutes into the half and the referee went AWOL as he stood discussing an issue with John Connolly on the sidelines the match went on behind his back, once he realised he then had to be reminded of what had been happening before he disappeared much to everyone's amazement.

Chances for Queens fell to Emilio Jaconelli, Paul Burns and Steve Bowey but none could finish off their opportunities and it was Clyde who almost increased their lead as Mark Gilhaney drew Samson off his line in the last few minutes of the game and tried to round him. The 'keeper though did well to get down and make the save.

In summary the performance from Queens was good, the match was entertaining and there was nothing between the sides, in fairness a draw was the least that the home side deserved, but with two collisions with the woodwork and a point blank miss the luck was just not there tonight.

[Back to Queens front page]