Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 1 : 1 HAMILTON 9th December 2006
Rating: 8.00
J Thomson
Rating: 6.85
Rating: 6.59
Rating: 6.98
Rating: 6.14
S3 1
Rating: 6.90
Rating: 6.80
Rating: 6.20
Rating: 4.53
Rating: 6.42
Rating: 6.85
S1 - 56
Rating: 5.20
S2 - 67
Rating: 4.95
S3 - 90
A Thomson
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Ian McCall went back to his favoured 3-5-2 formation this week for a game against the surprise package of the league this season - Billy Reid's Hamilton Academical. Stephen Swift dropped out due to him being hit by a nasty sickness bug and the entire defence moved across one space with Murray Henderson dropping into the left hand side of the back three and Eric Paton moving wide right of the five man midfield - Scott Robertson being consigned to the bench. Warren Moon also started this week - just inside Gibson wide left.

Queens started brightly and with just five minutes gone Andrew Barrowman should have done better with a clear goal scoring header opportunity from an Eric Paton cross from the right, however the barren striker headed past to maintain his unimpressive goal scoring record.

However the man with goalden boots this season John O'Neill certainly knew the way to goal as he zeroed into Dave McEwan's area on nine minutes from a superb Graham Weir through ball, McEwan though couldn't stop the wiley midfielder and needed to resort to a pull at the ankles of O'Neill to stop the progress of the penalty king, if O'Neill had gotten through then there was no one between him and goal but Queens were only rewarded with a penalty kick. Don't need to say anymore - it was, after all, John O'Neill who took the kick!

Jonjo is brought down by McEwan

No mistake from the spot

Jonjo blasts home - from David Gow on the terracing
Shortly after the goal Kevin Sharp in the heart of the Accies defence played the ball back to McEwan, the 'keeper collected the ball and the referee waved play on, much to the bewilderment of the home support and the undoubted relief of the defender, his 'keeper and the entire Accies support who no doubt fully expected an indirect free kick inside the six yard box.

No pass back from Sharp - despite O'Neill's claim

Hinchie keeps ex-Carlisle striker Wake at bay
It was really all one way traffic for Queens with Craig Hinchcliffe having very little to do in the first half other than maintain a hate-hate relationship with former Carlisle United striker Brian Wake following a high challenge by the Accies frontman early on. It was Queens who should have been further ahead as Graham Weir put in his usual foraging shift as he set the ball back for Andrew Barrowman who in turn set up John O'Neill with a header back across goal that O'Neill couldn't manage to get a clean contact with as a defender blocked his effort.

On twenty four minutes Willie Gibson picked up a needless booking for a late challenge that was hardly warranted but that would come back and haunt him. Queens then produced a sequence of three corners where they threatened with good chances each time but were ultimately thwarted by a combination of good goalkeeping and off target shooting.
Just after the half hour Andy Barrowman showed why he isn't scoring as he opted to cross into space rather than shoot when in a good position following great approach play down the right wing. Then Warren Moon proved his worth once again as he provided a delicately chipped ball from the right hand side of the box which Willie Gibson could just not quite get on the end of.

The half ended with a superb half volley from former Ross County player David Winters as he caught everyone by surprise with an effort that crashed off of Hinchcliffes bar with the 'keeper still in flight.

McLeod provides some in-flight entertainment
It took only seven minutes of the second half to have elapsed before the man of the afternoon changed the game and lost Queens the victory that their play so far had deserved. Willie Gibson chased back a ball that he had lost to Marvin Wilson, the running challenge between the two was even and fair but both ended up on the ground, in piled a couple of other Accies players including Alex Neil who raised his hand to Gibson and pushed his face - Willie to his credit walked away. However the referee, Mr Tumilty, adjudged that somehow Gibson had done something worth a booking and as a result gave the often impetuous, but not on this ocassion, winger a second yellow and orders to leave the pitch. Quite how an Accies player didn't even receive a caution was beyond all of those fans who were close by, one thing for sure and that was shared by those close to the incident, is that Gibson didn't appear to do or say anything out of order.

Scalls pleads for some sense whilst Gibson wonders what he's done
With only ten men and a full forty minutes to go it was bound to be backs to the wall stuff from Queens. Warren Moon was carrying a knock and couldn't be afforded any more time on the park so Barry Callaghan was introduced wide right with Eric Paton dropping across to left back as the formation changed to 4-3-2. Shortly after a second substitution saw Scott Mackenzie come on for Graham Weir as the formation changed again more defensively to 4-4-1 as the clock ticked away and the lead needed even more protection.

Although Hamilton were in the ascendancy and having the bulk of the pressure Queens were still creating chances, Andy Barrowman could have followed through instead of stopping when it looked as though Wilson and McEwan had dispossessed him, however the two Accies players managed to fall over each other and the ball ran loose in the box but by the time that Barrowman had woken up to the fact, Wilson had recovered and cleared the danger.

With fifteen minutes of the half to go the impressive Offiong, on as a second half substitute with Mark Gilhaney, dispossessed Jim Thomson wide left and homed in on goal, however Hinchcliffe was alert to the incursion and was swiftly off his line to clear. Hamilton were picking up free kicks all around the box as the referee objected to even the most minor of contact between the sides. Finally they scored an equaliser as Offiong drilled home from the edge of the box to tie the scores.

Queens though were not dead as Jim Thomson almost made himself a two goal in a week star as a free kick from Barry Callaghan found John O'Neill who had a free header that eventually came to JT but who could only head wide of the goals with minutes of the game left.

Ian McCall declared himself satisfied with a point as he put on Scott Robertson for John O'Neill with seconds of the game left. Then with the ball in Terregles Street the referee urged for a replacement ball, however as soon as it was kicked he signalled the end of the match with a blow of the final whistle - a strange performance indeed.

In summary - we were robbed by the sending off that cost the three points but a sterling defensive performance with only ten men of the forty minutes provided a well deserved point.

[Back to Queens front page]