Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
QUEEN OF THE SOUTH 4 : 2 CLYDE 8th August 2006
Rating: 5.60
Rating: 6.82
Rating: 7.27
J Thomson
Rating: 6.18
Rating: 6.27
Rating: 6.49
2 S2
Rating: 7.42
Rating: 6.49
Rating: 6.18
Rating: 6.96
S3 1
Rating: 7.29
S1 - 65
Rating: 5.26
S2 - 65
Rating: 4.83
S3 - 69
A Thomson
Rating: 4.80
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Queens lined up tonight for the CIS Insurance Cup match against Clyde with one enforced change from the side that lost to Livingston on Saturday as Willie Gibson was sent home before the match with a virus. The change around meant that we had no real left sided player on the park as Eric Paton moved from right to left with Neil Scally covering the right hand side. Scott Robertson took Scally's place on the bench.

The game itself was held up for approximately ten minutes due to some traffic problems on the outskirts of Dumfries that had delayed many people but when it did start it wasn't long before Queens had signalled their intent. It was as early as the eight minute that John O'Neill demonstrated his sharpness in reacting first to a long ball from defence, last season's top scorer flicked the ball past the defender and as the goalkeeper struggled to cover O'Neill slipped the ball home under him to open his account for this term.

O'Neill opens the scoring - from David Gow on the terraces.
Whilst Queens were proving to be the more incisive of the two sides Clyde were not without threat of their own and were forcing a number of corners despite not providing any clear cut chances. It was Queens who extended their lead on eighteen minutes following an Eric Paton corner from the left which was only cleared as far as back to the taker, his second ball was met cleanly by Murray Henderson who powered it into the back of the net with some style.

Murray heads it home

Henderson heads past Cherrie - from David Gow on the terraces.

Weir makes it three - from David Gow on the terraces.
It was looking good for Queens at this point and on the half hour mark it looked even better as Graham Weir produced a superb turn and strike to extend the lead to three nil. Inside a minute however, Clyde warned the Queens defence that they were not about to give up that easily as Doug Imrie smashed the ball off the base of the post with Corr at full stretch. Clyde continued to press and were rewarded by a free kick twenty five yards out that Stephen O'Donnell sent just past the post, however a minute later the same player was given a second chance from the same spot for another foul and this time he had the ball on target. Corr looked to have it covered all the way but somehow let it slip from his grasp into the path of Doug Imrie who had the easiest of jobs to tap it into an empty net to give the visitors some hope.

Doug Imrie might like to thank BJ for this one
That hope however looked to be extinguished with the last kick of the half as John O'Neill struck with his second of the night following a throw-in from the right that found its way to Jonjo via Scott MacKenzie. Once again O'Neill demonstrated the clinical nature of his finishing by giving Paul Cherrie no chance in the Clyde goal.

John O'Neill blasts past Cherrie for number four
With the half time score 4-1 you would expect things to be pretty much plain sailing in the second half, however that was not to be. Clyde have a side of young enthusiastic lads who can play a bit too and their non-stop approach caused Queens all sorts of problems in the second half particularly down the right hand side. Add to that an early goal for the visitors courtesy of a Murray Henderson and B J Corr misunderstanding leading to a rash tackle by Henderson and a goal for O'Donnel from the resulting penalty and we really had a fight on in the second half.

Queens found themselves penned back for the duration of the half and even the substitutions of Mullen on for O'Connor, Henry on for O'Neill and Andy Thomson on for Weir failed to make much difference to the pattern of the game.

All in all this was a good victory for Queens, Clyde were hungry but didn't take their chances whilst Queens could have had a couple more in the first half that would have completely killed the game as a spectacle. Hopefully the form of the first half can be transferred to the league game on Saturday against St Johnstone.

[Back to Queens front page]