Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
Rating: 6.26
Rating: 6.62
Rating: 7.15
Rating: 7.28
Rating: 6.30
Rating: 6.82
Rating: 5.64
Rating: 6.74
Rating: 5.18
Rating: 5.26
1 S3
Rating: 6.95
S1 - 55
Rating: 7.10
S2 - 63
Rating: 5.46
S3 - 70
A Thomson
Rating: 5.26
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Ian McCall made two changes to the team which drew with Ross County last weekend. Gary Wood replaced Eric Paton at right wing back and Ryan McStay returned from illness in place of Andy Thomson, with Derek Lyle moving up front. In addition Shaun Dillon returned to the bench with the unlucky men to drop out of the sixteen this week being Tommy English and Michael Mullen. Airdrie named Stephen Docherty, who McCall confirmed this week was a target for next season, on the bench.

It was an inauspicious start for Queens who looked as sluggish in the first half hour as they have ever looked under McCall. We fell behind from the first meaningful attack of the game. It came from a free kick on halfway which was lifted into the box. Jim Thomson headed the ball clear but didn't get anything like enough distance in the clearance. Graham Holmes struck the ball back in on the half volley straight to Gary Twigg who was standing unmarked six yards out and swivelled to fire the ball past Barnard from point blank range. Airdrie continued to dominate and midway through the half Gary Wood picked up a knock making what appeared to be a crucial last ditch challenge on Bryan Prunty.

Midfield action
Queens finally shook off their lethargy towards the end of the half and actually had the ball in the net on 43 minutes. Gary Wood fed Derek Lyle out wide on the right side and his deep hanging cross was pawed at by Lee Hollis and then, as he was cannoned into by a combination of Weir and his own defender Steve Bowey knocked home the loose ball. As always in these situations though the referee Mr Collum gave a free kick for the keeper. As injury time drew to a close Jim Thomson's long ball forward released Bowey behind the home back line but the ball wouldn't sit down for him.

Queens began the second half much better than they had the first with Ryan McStay's early free kick causing problems for Hollis. In 50 minutes Andy Aitken's long ball forward released John O'Neill and Hollis made a superb block to deny the midfielder an equaliser. From the resulting corner Willie Gibson forced another fine save out of Hollis with a great drive. Sandy Stewart immediately responded by bringing on Stuart Taylor for Paul Lovering.

Queens press
On 55 minutes Ian McCall decided to bring on Sean O'Connor for Derek Lyle and the change paid immediate dividends. When Ryan McStay fired in a deep cross following a corner, O'Connor headed back across goal and Graham Weir was on the spot to fire home inside the six yard box. On 64 minutes Eric Paton replaced Steve Bowey with Gary Wood moving into central midfield and a moment or two later Queens had a big penalty shout turned down when Graham Weir was bundled over in the box. Six minutes later Queens completed their substitutions when Andy Thomson replaced Graham Weir.

Weiry scores - from David Gow on the terraces.
In 76 minutes another McStay free kick caused chaos in the home penalty area and, from Lovell's flick on, Gary Wood so nearly forced the ball home. Three minutes later Sandy Stewart made a double change with Fraser Coyle and Stephen Docherty replacing Graeme Holmes and Gary Twigg. On 75 minutes Stuart Lovell picked up the first booking of the game for a cynical foul on McDougall. A minute later Andy Thomson was denied a goal on the turn from a corner kick by a goal-line clearance. On 86 minutes Jim Thomson joined Lovell in the book for a barge through the back of Prunty and in the final minute so did David Dunn for a trip from behind on McStay.

Queens line up a free kick
At the end of the day a decent point, especially considering how poor the first half performance was and that Stranraer did no better at home to Dundee. Next up it's a visit from St Johnstone and a chance to finish their league challenge.

Ewan Lithgow

[Back to Queens front page]