Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
Rating: 7.53
Rating: 6.98
Rating: 7.44
Rating: 7.20
Rating: 6.96
Rating: 8.49
Rating: 6.89
Rating: 6.34
Rating: 7.36
Rating: 7.22
Rating: 5.81
S1 - 46
Rating: 6.68
S2 - 46
Rating: 6.36
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
What a way to finish the season! In bright sunshine on a breezy day Queens spoiled Falkirk's championship party a little with a superb win which guarantees 4th spot and a seeding in next year's CIS Cup. It also continued the gradual improvement shown year on year since the Connolly era began and Iain Scott is to be congratulated on taking that next step up the table.

Scott didn't have his problems to seek in picking a team to face the Champions today. Injury ruled out Brian Reid, Eric Paton and Derek Lyle and the bench didn't even include a goalkeeper. Into the side came Chris Carr and Brian McLaughlin. Falkirk though were without their midfield driving force for the season, Latapy and O'Neill as well as player/manager John Hughes. There was also no place for injured former Queens legend Andy Thomson.

Queens made a bright start in their yellow kit and Tommy English had the game's first shot in the 3rd minute, though his 25 yard effort didn't bother Alan Ferguson at all. A minute later though the veteran keeper had to move much more smartly to keep out a curling low effort from similar range by Stephen Payne who was simply outstanding today again. What an end to the season he's had! Falkirk's first chance arrived on 9 minutes when some nice passing freed Daryl Duffy for a chance on goal but under pressure from Gary Wood he scuffed his shot across goal and wide of target. On 12 minutes Queens had a great chance to take the lead when McNiven nodded on an English cross and Brian McLaughlin found himself clean through on goal. He tried to hit early though and from the edge of the penalty box succeeded only in chipping the ball into Ferguson's arms.

The deadlock was broken very much against the run of play though by the home side on 17 minutes. Craig McPherson's left sided cross was looped into the box beyond Barnard and McBreen seemed set to score only to be denied by a brave block from Chris Carr. However, the ball broke free and Andy Lawrie was the first to react, running in to rifle the ball behind Barnard and high into the net from six yards. On 24 minutes Barnard produced a simply magnificent block to deny Duffy who had beaten the offside trap for once. The ball seemed to be past the big Englishman but somehow he made a block with his trailing arm to keep it out. A couple of minutes later Payne's free kick was fumbled a little by Ferguson but reclaimed before any Queens player could latch on to the loose ball.

McNiven shields the ball
Ten minutes before the break Barnard made another fine save low to his left from Scally's curling free kick a couple of minutes after that McBreen just failed to make contact with McPherson's right sided free kick with the goal gaping for him. To be honest at the interval, despite Queens fine start, we were maybe fortunate to be only one behind and you wondered how we could find a way back into the game.

Iain Scott knew changes were necessary though and made two at half time. On came Willie Gibson and Paul Burns in place of McLaughlin and McColligan and immediately Queens took more of a grip in midfield. Also taking a grip though was Chris Carr who was perhaps more than a little fortunate not to give away a penalty when he seemed to have hold of large amounts of Daryl Duffy as the striker tried to burst into the penalty area in the first minute of the half. Having escaped that appeal Queens nearly equalised when McNiven collected a pass from the industrious Bowey and shot just over from 18 yards.

On 54 minutes Willie Gibson could have done better when he collected a poor clearance and ran in on goal only to have his shot blocked from the edge of the box when a pass slipped through to McNiven in the clear looked the better option. Two minutes later Chris Carr picked up Queens only booking of the match for a challenge through the back of Danny McBreen. He could have no complaints to be honest.

Just after the hour mark Tommy English thought he'd levelled matters with a curling free kick from 30 yards but it curled just too far and eluded the post. Straight up the other end though Richie Barnard produced a simply magnificent stop to deny Ryan McStay on the half volley from outside the box. The big keeper flew to his right to tip the ball over the bar with the whole ground ready to acknowledge a fine goal. With quarter of an hour remaining Alan Ferguson produced a fine save of his own tipping over Payne's 25 yard free kick this time but the ex-Aberdeen youngster was looking dangerous every time he got the ball, particularly with his set piece delivery. Two minutes later Kevin James picked up his side's booking for a pretty cynical foul on Payne who was getting away and running at the defence again. John Hughes then made his first change bringing on John Henry for Scott McKenzie.

The equaliser the second half performance richly deserved arrived on 80 minutes and came, like last weeks' two goals, from a Stephen Payne free kick from the right. This time Payne drove the ball in to the near post area where the ball cannoned off of somebody and flew past Ferguson into the net. Jim Thomson and David McNiven were both in the area and it wasn't entirely clear but for my money it was the unfortunate Alan Kernaghan who deflected the ball past his own keeper.

A minute later Willie Gibson released Steve Bowey clear on goal but he sliced his shot wide with only Ferguson to beat. With five minutes remaining John Hughes made a double change to enable two of his club's youngsters to gain some big match experience. On came Darren Barr and Mark Ramsey for Campbell and Duffy. However, with three minutes remaining it was Queens who snatched the win. Richie Barnard made a comfortable save and made a huge kick from his area that McNiven challenged for in the air and Stephen Payne picked up the loose ball. He beat two opponents on a fine run down the right before crossing low and dangerously into the six yard box. Andy Lawrie was first to the ball but tried to just usher it back to his keeper. That let Willie Gibson in to nip in first and prod the ball back for David McNiven to knock into the empty net from six yards out. The home side had no time left to mount a comeback so lost for the second time in a row at their home ground where they had NEVER lost previously.

The superb large and vocal Queens support rightly saluted the players at the end and a few even got shirts as souvenirs whilst, to be fair, the Falkirk support applauded Queens off the park when the players had finished celebrating with the support. That gesture was reciprocated soon after with the bulk of the Queens support waiting to applaud the lifting of the trophy and collection of medals by the host side. Some of the Queens players and management also appeared trackside to applaud their hosts achievement which was a nice gesture. Roll on next season!

Ewan Lithgow
Photo courtesy Eric Fisher (Queens Mad Website)

[Back to Queens front page]