Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
Rating: 8.61
Rating: 6.68
Rating: 6.70
Rating: 7.42
Rating: 5.95
Rating: 6.53
Rating: 6.26
Rating: 6.83
Rating: 6.61
Rating: 6.19
Rating: 6.02
S1 - 88
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
A couple of changes were made to the Queens side that turned out today at Palmerston, Eric Paton returned from injury coming in at right back thereby allowing Gary Wood to move into central defence in place of the injure Brian Reid and in midfield Brian McColligan was favoured over David Bagan with the latter taking a seat on the bench. Brian McLaughlin returned from flu but could only manage a seat on the bench and youth 'keeper Graham Wright took the place of Killie returnee Craig Samson.

The match almost started in a disastrous fashion for the home side as Owen Coyle set up Stephen McKeown for a run in on goals, only a superb stop from Colin Scott denied the visitors a lead.

In terms of goalmouth action there was not too much following that start but despite that the game was very entertaining as both sides looked to press forward at every opportunity. It was Airdrie though who were playing the better football in the first half and on twenty-two minutes nippy winger Willie McLaren broke through the defence but found Colin Scott in no mood to concede anything today as the 'keeper got off his line and down well to deny McLaren.

Scott makes an early stop from McLaren
All of the Airdrie chances were being created down their left hand side with McLaren getting the better of Eric Paton a couple more times in the half, the first after thirty-eight minutes as the young winger set up Owen Coyle but the veteran couldn't finish and then just two minutes later the speed of McLaren again caused the defence problems but again they cleared. The half finished all square with Queens more fortunate in keeping their goal intact.

The second half start mimicked the first as Airdrie almost scored just about from the kick-off, McLaren again the instigator as he skipped past the defence, his ball into the box though looked to be comfortably in the control of Willie Gibson but somehow our number eleven lost possession and with two Airdrie forwards in close attendance it was up Jim Thomson who steadied the ship and cleared.

Queens were performing well without really threatening, however Willie Gibson was getting more success this half and it wasn't long before Queens won a corner. The ball was played in by Tommy English to the back post where Jim Thomson headed it back into the danger area, Steve Bowey got his head onto it but it did look to be heading for a clearance, until that is it fell nicely onto the toe of Bowser who prodded it home from ten yards out.

This sparked some more urgency into Queens play and only two minutes later it could have been a two goal lead as Bowser broke through from midfield and took out the last defender with a square ball to Derek Lyle, the 'tan man' must have thought that he would score with his effort that blasted goalward but young Airdrie 'keeper Lee Hollis stood up to it well and blocked the effort. Four minutes later and another great run from Willie Gibson won a corner, this time from the left and the ball played in was met by the head of Derek Lyle who sent it goalward only to see Barkey on the near post chest it away.

Lyle's header looks good but Barkey chested it away
Another calamitous moment occurred on twenty five minutes as a stray Steve Bowey pass in the centre of the park allowed the ball to be fed to McLaren, he however elected to shoot early and see his effort saved well by Colin Scott once again. With ten minutes to go Airdrie came close when the ball fell to Martin Hardie on the edge of the box, with a good angle he shot toward goal but sent it past the post.

The half played out quite tamely from there although Queens did have a couple of efforts in a late flurry that had Hollis scrambling, however the final whistle blew and Queens recorded a much needed win.

In summary Airdrie can rightly feel aggrieved not to have gained at least a point from this match, their sizable travelling support, over 340, generally out sang the Dumfries home crowd and the side responded with a performance that against any other goalkeeper in this league would have been rewarded with a goal. Still Queens showed signs of a return to form of a number of players and a settled side along these lines would enable us to consolidate our position in the middle of the league table.

[Back to Queens front page]