Reports from matches this season go to the fixtures section and click on the report linked to the match you want to read about. Alternatively for earlier seasons go to the fixtures section of the archive for the relevant year.
DUNDEE 1 : 1 QUEEN OF THE SOUTH - SC R3 6th January 2007
Rating: 6.04
Rating: 7.16
J Thomson
Rating: 6.60
Rating: 6.00
Rating: 7.08
Rating: 6.08
Rating: 5.96
Rating: 7.00
Rating: 6.00
Rating: 6.96
S3 1
Rating: 7.68
S1 - 62
Rating: 4.88
S2 - 84
S3 - 88
Members of the Internet Fan Club can award players marks out of ten for their performance today. The player with the most points awarded in the two days following a match will be the IFC Man of the Match. All of the points will then be added to a running total for each player and the results published in the mom League Table.

Name or IFC No.
Ian McCall made four changes to the side that lost heavily to neighbours Gretna on Tuesday for this Scottish Cup 3rd round tie. Willie Gibson was unavailable due to suspension but the other three were simply left out. New signings Jamie McQuilken and Stephen Dobbie came in for immediate debuts at the expense of Stephen Swift who dropped out of the squad altogether and Graham Weir who dropped to the bench. The other two changes saw Paul Burns and Scott Robertson step in for the suspended Gibson and John O'Neill who joined Weir on the bench. The Scottish Cup requirement for two u21 players in the sixteen meant that Lewis Sloan made the senior sixteen for the first time since joining the club in the summer and despite agreeing a loan deal to Annan Athletic last week, which has been put on temporary hold due to the injury to Mark Whorlow. For their part Dundee were also missing a player through suspension, in their case Gary Smith, but were otherwise fairly strong with the attack led by former Queens striker Derek Lyle.

Queens started brightly and when Scott Robertson forced a 5th minute corner, Sean O'Connor should have done better with his header from Moon's delivery. Twelve minutes in and Stephen Dobbie showed some bright inventive play to make inroads into the box. He over-ran the ball but Gary McKenzie's first time clearance cannoned back off Dobbie and narrowly wide of the post with Roy stranded. A few minutes later Dobbie almost latched onto a ball over the top but was just beaten to it by Roy. Sean O'Connor almost beat the keeper to the second ball too but fortune favoured the goalie and he got the break of the ball to clear eventually 20 yards from his penalty box.

Sean celebrates his super strike
Midway through the half Dundee were presented with a couple of gilt-edged chances. First Colin Scott mis-controlled a back-pass and was caught in possession allowing Lyle a shot from out wide with which the keeper at least redeemed himself by parrying wide for a corner. From the resulting set piece the ball dropped to Alex Rae to volley over the top from ten yards out. A few minutes later Gavin Swankie's inswinging corner was palmed away by Scott on the line under pressure as Dundee began to find a foothold in the game. Next to try his luck from distance was Scott Robertson (the Dundee one!) but Colin Scott smothered easily enough. The breakthrough was coming and it duly arrived in 38 minutes and from the most frustrating of sources needless to say. Paul Dixon's wonderful cross from the left was met with a back post diving header from Derek Lyle and buried in the bottom corner.

Queens looked to hit back immediately and from a part-cleared corner Jim Lauchlan controlled the ball on his chest before volleying at goal from 18 yards. Ludovic Roy saved easily enough though. In the final minute of the half though Queens got themselves back into the game. O'Connor's run into the corner earned a throw-in deep in the Dundee half which was delivered long into the box by McQuilken. O'Connor nodded on initially and the ball bounced back from Stephen Dobbie to the waiting O'Connor to volley into the top right corner from 8 yards out. There was barely time to re-start the game before the half-time whistle sounded.

JT wins the ball
Dundee clearly intended to reassert their lead early in the second period and it was only a minute old when Jamie McQuilken was forced to head off the line after someone headed a Swankie corner goalward. The loose ball was eventually hammered over by Robertson from 20 yards out. In 54 minutes Stephen Dobbie was presented with a fine chance to open his account when Scott Robertson took a ball out of the air beautifully and laid it into him to shoot from 15 yards but the shot was high and wide. A couple of minutes later Lauchlan headed Paton's corner narrowly over the bar too as Queens fought back into the game again. On the hour mark Alex Rae picked up the game's first booking for fouling Dobbie as he attempted to get a shot away on the edge of the box. From the free kick Dobbie hit the ball over the bar. Seconds later though Scott Robertson (of Queens!) joined him for a foul on Rae and from that free kick McKenzie's header was brilliantly tipped away by Scott.

Paul Burns was next in the referees notebook on 67 minutes for a foul from behind on Robertson but it was Queens who nearly scored from Dundee's free kick as they broke quickly down the left and McQuilken of all people popped up to drive a shot goalward, tipped wide by Roy. With quarter of an hour to remaining John O'Neill replaced Scott Robertson. Two minutes later Dundee replaced Alex Rae with Robert Campbell. Immediately Paton's long throw into the box was nodded on by O'Connor and O'Neill should have scored with his first touch but sliced wide. Up the other end Lyle attempted to guide a shot past Scott but failed to do so. In 84 minutes Dobbie's debut came to an end when he was replaced with Graham Weir whilst Dundee replaced Swankie with Brian Clark, the winger having been suffering from cramp for some time.

With five minutes to go Clark's first touch rifled in towards goal but was turned away by Paton almost on the goal-line. In the final minute, from Paton's throw, Scally had a fine chance to win the game from 10 yards but Roy made a good save and then denied Weir on the rebound too. Sean O'Connor was injured in the incident and replaced by Murray Henderson. However, Queens survived the injury time comfortably enough and earned their replay.

Ewan Lithgow
Photo's - David Young -

[Back to Queens front page]